Second Fermentation And Temps.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matti

Swedes Bryggeri
Reaction score
G,day. I am a new "Noonanite". In New How to brewLager by G. Noonan, (I cannot quote because of copy write law), he suggest that one should not allow temp to drop too quick in second. I.e 1-3 centigrade in 24 hour max. Assuming that is to let yeast condition it self without mutation. Though some temperature he suggest is below the the range for the most common yeasts.
I have a WLP830 Bavarian yeast which likes 8-14 degrees where 11-12 is optimum temperature.
I wonder if anyone would know how low you can go and still allow it to ferment out.
5 degrees seem a bit low. I thought 8-9 would be the best for this yeast strain.
Matti :mellow:

onya Linz.
Gonnacatchsome Zs now night shift

Matti

there really is no problem with quoting a small amount of a book like that. What Noonan is suggesting is lagering. This is below the normal temp for the yeast when it is fermenting, but you should be doing this after fermentation has finished. Have a search for threads on lagering and I'm sure you'll find stacks on info on the site.

(I cannot quote because of copy write law)

As Stuster already said, there's no problem in quoting a section from a book. In fact, as long as it is credited properly and you're not 'publishing a not insubstantial part' there are no issues with copyright at all. And yeah. I work in publishing and it actually takes a fair bit before it can be considered an issue. :)

Aside from that, I must admit I know next to nothing about your question. I'm an ale brewer. :)

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

Lagerbrew
Just 11th day and 4th day in second and activivity very moderated. Don't want to waste the protective CO2 by checking SG or open lid as second fermenter will be lagering fermenter as well. How moderate activity may i have I.e. frequency bubbles in airlock before I decrees temp for lagering? (Don't want to waste adrop.) only my 2nd attempt in lagering and flying a tad blind. My intention is to let it sit for 10-14 days in second and then chill it to -1 to 2 degrees for 3-4 weeks.
Am I risking oxidation even with the tiniest leak in plastic carbo.?
Would it be adviseable to bottle it sooner to lager it that way?
Just hate making lager with second rate equipment. Messed up 60 liter of lager last winter....

Latest posts

Back