Second Amendment?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
Last time I was at functions where the National Anthem was sung by the audience (Sons' high school grads IIRC) they handed out lyrics sheets. Most of the audience had their heads down following them.

Edit, it actually came in quite handy because in the refrain I can never quite remember whether it's "from all the lands on Earth we come" or "from every land on Earth we come".

B)
Not sure that's Australia's national anthem - what country does your son go to school in?

Perhaps you confusing Advance Australia Fair with I am Australian?

According to this thread you can now plead the fifth I think it is.

Could we merge this thread with the Aldi thread and No Topic please?

To be fair, I am australian (actually called Song of Australia) was an entrant in the anthem plebicite in 1977 so it could have been the anthem. It came last. Behind Advance Australia fair, God Save the Queen and Waltzing Matilda (as an anthem? Really? FFS what were they thinking).

Khe Sanh wasn't on the list but the organisers can be forgiven - it wasn't written till 78.

Cheers
Dave

To try and return to topic...

I would like to see Obama make some prgress on gun control during this term, but I think it will be the legacy of some other president...

What it sounds like to me is Obama planting an idea and starting a conversation. I imagine this conversation will continue for a generation or two, such is the (my perception of) the degree to which the 'right to bear arms' attitude is entrenched in modern day North Americans. It's not an attitude that will be swayed in one president's term.

I went to see the movie Lincoln earlier in the year and felt some parallels between Lincoln's actions to end slavery and the current issues of gun control in the states were hinted at.

When Scotland gets its independence next year, the National Anthem is tipped to be that was written by the Coors. When played on a full skirl of bagpipes, even Hard men from Glasgow melt into a girly teary mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bribie G said:
When Scotland gets its independence next year, the National Anthem is tipped to be that was written by the Coors. When played on a full skirl of bagpipes, even Hard men from Glasgow melt into a girly teary mess.
Lovely. But it was the Corries (folk group)... not the Corrs (pop group with hot chicks) or even the Coors (Shitty US Beer).

Scots WhaHey!

I married into the Clan McGreggor...

Last edited by a moderator:
Get t'way witc'ye, ye Greggor gob-shite. We Campbells will ruin ye like the Queen's English!

(Not actually a Campbell and the Scottish accent is hard to type.)

The Campbells are a bad lot.

I actually had to have my genealogy checked to make sure I was nae a Campbell..

Not bad... holding a grudge like that for 400 years.

Airgead said:
Lovely. But it was the Corries (folk group)... not the Corrs (pop group with hot chicks) or even the Coors (Shitty US Beer).
I have lived on the Gold Coast for the last 15 or so years - when I was in Ireland in 2001, I made sure I spent a day in Dundalk, just in case I ran into one of the Corrs sisters.

Sadly I didn't - because they were in Brisbane to play a concert for the Goodwill games. :(

very sad about the teacher who was shot trying to stop him. Former marine, serves in Afganistan, retires from the army to teach maths at a school, only to be killed by a 12yo kid.

It's interesting to note that most americans and therefore everyone else don't really understand what the second amendment actually means.
Much conjecture exists about the interpretation of the amendment.
The second amendment simply (or not so) reads:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The interpretation of this is what so many americans, in particular the NRA, seem to argue about. There is MUCH that can be read about this.
However:

"The Supreme Court makes the ultimate determination of the Constitution's meaning, and it has defined the amendment as simply granting to the states the right to maintain a militia separate from federally controlled militias."

And this seemed to work ok up until the mid 70s...

Enter now the NRA, who actually before this time were fairly sensible and mostly concerned themselves with gun safety. The new leader of the NRA had new ideas. He challenged the definition and interpretation of the second amendment to include the rights of the individual. At the time they were largely ignored.
But then along came the 80s...
Besides the insufferable elctro pop, Reagan, a known gun rights activist, is now in power. Add to that Orrin Hatch and his supposedly long lost proof that the second amendment did in fact allow for the right of private citizens to carry weapons and you've got an NRA badge wearers wet dream.
They kept at the government. They even funded academic studies to help prove their point.
So by the late naughties, everyone had started to believe them. The supreme court was in favour of individual rights. Justice Antonin Scalia ruled that
“handguns are the most popular weapon chosen by Americans for self-defense in the home, and a complete prohibition of their use is invalid.”
Luckily, Scalia could not justify ownership of any other form of weapons (assault rifles etc).

So, for now, we seem to be stuck with the current version of events that says americans can carry handguns. Lucky us </end sarcasm>.

I was actually a little surprised to learn libertarians fall on the pro gun side of the ledger, seemingly backing it with the same hokey rhetoric and flawed logic we're so familiar with.

From their website:

Law-abiding, responsible citizens do not and should not need to ask anyone's permission or approval to engage in a peaceful activity. Gun ownership, by itself, harms no other person and cannot morally justify criminal penalties.

Personal Responsibility

Guns are not the problem. They are inanimate objects. Gun control advocates talk as if guns could act on their own, as if human beings cannot control them, so the uncontrollable guns must be banished.

Rather than banning guns, the politicians and the police should encourage gun ownership, as well as education and training programs. A responsible, well-armed and trained citizenry is the best protection against domestic crime and the threat of foreign invasion. America's founders knew that. It is still true today.

Don't confuse the Libertarian Party with liberals. They're not all that far from being Tea-baggers. They actively try to recruit Tea-partiers who have a couple of brain cells to rub together.

Latest posts

Back