Sealing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hey lads, i read somewhere that gladwrap stretched over the fermenter, held in place with a large elastic band and with a single pin prick in it is better than the standard fermenter lid/air lock combo. Any truth behind it??

I haven't used a lid on a fermy for quite a while now, Im a glad wrap convert.

Much easier to see whats going on inside too.

Yep i'm another gladwrap user. But why bother with a pin prick? It will vent once it gets enough pressure build up.

QldKev

Yep i'm another gladwrap user. But why bother with a pin prick? It will vent once it gets enough pressure build up.

QldKev
Same here.
Hmmmm ...... maybe thats why I've got 4 kids?? :eek:

Yep glad wrap and no pin prick hear. There are people who believe you need the pin prick so the yeast doesnt stress under pressure but me I like to bread my yeast tough......no nancy-boy yeast round here if the CO2 is puttin on the pressure push the ******* out.

Cheeers Brad

Yep glad wrap and no pin prick hear. There are people who believe you need the pin prick so the yeast doesnt stress under pressure but me I like to bread my yeast tough......no nancy-boy yeast round here if the CO2 is puttin on the pressure push the ******* out.

Cheeers Brad

That's it; 'Take that you yeastie wan@*rs'

QldKev

+1for gladwrap, no pin-hole. i use the o-ring from the lid to hold it in place.

when you seal youre fermenter with the gladwrap who sanitises there wrap or dont you bother

when you seal youre fermenter with the gladwrap who sanitises there wrap or dont you bother

I dont bother as I assume all the cooks around the place dont sanitise it before placing it over food>

Me neither, i dont do anything but unroll and put it over the opening. Then i just hold it on with leccy tape around the circumference (cbf with the rubber seal).

No infections so far, touch wood. I just tell myself the CO2 generated by the fermentation will inhibit any aerobic nasties lurking near my beer... And i guess the anaerobic ones have the decency to stay the hell away too.

No

Its already pretty well sterilized from the heating it undergoes when its made and rolled

Cheers

Mark

Even though I agree that the gladwrap is probably pretty sanitarty out of the box, I figure since I have starsan in a spray bottle handy what does it hurt me to give it a quick squirt before the o-ring goes on?

Not a dedicated gladwrapper (yo). Only use it on the rare occasion I rack to secondary (BMW 25l drum).

Latest posts

Back