Sealing insulation around holes cut in cooler.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownsworthy

Reaction score
G'day all,

Just wondering if anybody has any ideas on sealing the insulation where holes have been cut in a cooler mash tun?

Yesterday, whilst tearing down and cleaning up the new equipment, I noticed that the exposed insulation was constantly flaking and getting everywhere I am also concerned about sticky wort being absorbed into it and never being able to clean it out.

I was thinking about painting it or using some sort of sealant though I'm worried about it reacting and melting the foam insulation.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Could use expanding foam fill from Bunnings.

106bd375-677c-4f3e-85d1-2053c69a1758.jpg

Thanks wide eyed,

Though I'm looking for something to form a membrane over the exposed insulation so no wort soaks into it and it doesn't continue to flake away possibly contaminating the wort.

I think that expanding foam would still be porous allowing wort to soak in and the bloody stuff goes everywhere.

Cheers

A water based latex paint would do the job. I use Dulux Weathersheild on my son's hockey goalkeeping gear. With multiple coats it creates quite a durable, but flexible membrane over the foam.

Brilliant sounds good andy thanks mate. Waterproof membrane sounds great too thanks earle.

Silicone is the answer, cheap and easy.

Latest posts

Back