Scuba Cylinder For Co2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopie89

Reaction score
Hi all Im new to the forums but looking at converting a chest freezer for kegs. I was wondering if its possible to use a scuba tank for co2 (obviously changing out the shut off valve), and whether anyone has done this in Perth and been able to fill it.

I cant see why it would be worthwhile. Firstly Im doubtful its legal to use a scuba tank for a non-breathable gas unless correctly marked (then again Heliox and trimix are used...). Secondly, the din or yoke valve is a different thread hence making fitting a CO2 valve near to impossible and thirdly, if you were to use a normal scuba valve, a scuba first stage regulator is not easily adjustable, even on the LP side, to get the pressures that are required for dispensing and/or carbonating beer. Remember scuba tanks are at working pressures of 230bar (3300PSI) which is at least 10x the normal CO2 cylinders.

Fil

plus you need to get them tested and stamped every year... that may or may not cause issues when trying to refill them

Cheers for the info guys might give it a miss just thought seeing as i had them laying around not doing anything then it might be possible. I can see the pressure being a problem, like you said they are designed to handle higher pressure. Seems like it may be more trouble than its worth though and even if i did get it all set up getting someone to fill it would probably be difficult. just trying to get around the price of co2 cylinders over here, but might just have to suck it up and buy one.

Paintball cylinders? Have a few spare and swap them out.

there were some 540g cylinders on ebay selling for pretty cheap ($40-50) ... refills were $15 from memory

soda stream is an option but small size and pricey refills plus you need an adaptor

cheapest setup otherwise is a KK 2.6kg and a budget regulator

Yeah thanks for that. I have looked at the kk 2.6kg ones and will most likely end up getting one

A decent CO2 bottle is not that big of $$$ over a few years, don't stuff about do it correctly.

QldKev

Have you considered using a cO2 fire extinguisher? Much cheaper than a dedicated cylinder. Much cheaper if you "find" one??!!...

Thanks again for the extra info guys. Plenty more there to think about now. The extinguisher idea might be the go.

there were some 540g cylinders on ebay selling for pretty cheap ($40-50) ... refills were $15 from memory

soda stream is an option but small size and pricey refills plus you need an adaptor

cheapest setup otherwise is a KK 2.6kg and a budget regulator

Does anybody know how often you'd have to refill the 540g bottles if you were only running one keg?

Thanks again for the extra info guys. Plenty more there to think about now. The extinguisher idea might be the go.

Its definitely the way to go mate. I use a 6kg one... Just need to remember to use it upside down the first time round so you pull gas and not liquid. When you get it refilled, ask the fire guys to remove the pickup tube, and you're sorted!

Cheers

Nev

Back