Screw you Abbott! The silent assassin.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liam_snorkel said:
all it does is make "cheaper" beer (ie, mass produced with 30% cane sugar, & minimal tasty ingredients [hops, spec malts]) even more profitable than good all grain beer. I'd prefer the tax to be based on ABV. If alcohol itself is what is causing the societal problems (health, addiction & violence) then tax the alcohol.

DJ_Lethal: the mega breweries win either way. they will continue to produce lowest-common-denominator beers and people will accept the price.
I'd prefer the tax to ramp in with volume produced.

Thus micros would have a path from small production to mega production to climb where their level of excise climbs from nil towards full excise payment gradually as they grow, rather than suddenly once they hit a certain non-economic figure.

verysupple said:
So how much was the previous increase? Or any prior increases? How does this increase compare? It certainly leaves a lot of detail out. I just assumed (yeah, I know what they say about assumptions) because people were actually kicking up a stink that it wasn't the same old half yearly increase they're used to. It certainly seems unclear if that is the case or not.
As Liam referenced, it's indexed to CPI biannually, though the small rebate we currently get is not. Don't blame you for thinking it was something else after the rhetoric being displayed by the Abbot haters.

Cheers Ross

Liam_snorkel said:
It's indexed to CPI biannually. see section 6A of the Excise Tariff Act 1921.
Goodo, thanks for that. Now that I know that, and that everybody in the industry would have known this was coming, it seems a little odd that they're kicking up a stink now. They must know it's unlikely that the current government would lower the excise increase, and even less likely for them to freeze it, seeing as they're trying to make/save as much cash as possible.

Its ridiculous that the rebate isn't indexed. I know they raised it recently but how long until the next one, a decade?

Ducatiboy stu said:
You sure about that
Yes Very

booargy said:
you don't remember the last time they where ruling us?
How many people on your payrole?
None I bet.

My business has grown 10-12% scence the change of government. The fact is people are more confident,they are willing to spend again.Thats something that we didnt have under the last Regime.

Ross said:
As a brewer I'd love to see some reduction on excise, especially for small business, this rise though has nothing to do with the current Abbot government, not that the Abbot bashers let the facts worry them :ph34r:
+1

I thought the thread title was a bit of a sarcastic troll given that "Abbott" was originally misspelt. Now that it's been fixed.. I guess not.

reminded me of the "tone abet" web comics.

Also, I'm very happy to partake in politician bashing but will save it for when they actually do/say something I disagree with.

ALCOHOL..........The new tobacco? To be taxed to the hilt, then be told it's not good for you (read not good for the governments bottom line) no longer able to sponsor and advertise and hidden in plain wrappers.

booargy said:
you don't remember the last time they where ruling us?
You mean when the economy was growing, taxes were lower, unemployment was lower, and our national debt was zero not $300 Billion??? (As opposed to as at 6 Sep 2013.)

superstock said:
ALCOHOL..........The new tobacco? To be taxed to the hilt, then be told it's not good for you (read not good for the governments bottom line) no longer able to sponsor and advertise and hidden in plain wrappers.
Clean skin beer? Why not. Woks for the winos.
Personally, I can see an upside.
The breweries can pass the savings they make on pretentious and costly label artwork onto the consumer. No more priming your expectations, just the facts.

What state it's from.
Whats it is.
What its made from.
Best before date.
How many standard drinks contained therein.

(with the obligatory 'may contain traces of nuts' caution, of course)

Dave70 said:
Clean skin beer? Why not. Woks for the winos.
Personally, I can see an upside.
The breweries can pass the savings they make on pretentious and costly label artwork onto the consumer. No more priming your expectations, just the facts.

What state it's from.
Whats it is.
What its made from.
Best before date.
How many standard drinks contained therein.

(with the obligatory 'may contain traces of nuts' caution, of course)
Wow that's one hell of an idea.

wide eyed and legless said:
I don't think taxes collected from gainful employment of workers in the alcohol manufacturing, retail, and distribution could not be entered into the figures as revenue for the government solely for that industry, we still have to provide for other social benefits from the income tax derived from those workers like hospitals, pensions, dole,etc. etc.
Whichever way it is looked the government is still behind the eight ball trying to recover costs from alcohol abuse as against revenue collected.
I'd wager they'd be further behind if they went prohibition on us.

"I'll get you Beer Baron"

"...no you won't"

tumblr_mb3xvwOJFG1rggnk6o1_500.jpg

Liam_snorkel said:
there already is clean skin beer.
My local bottlo sells a beer called "No Name Beer". Its brewed in china and sell for about $26ctn/24. @4.5%. Its very bland..but will get you pissed

Just like the local 55yr old grandmother hooker down the street will get you....

Ok where I was going was inappropriate.

Back