Screw you Abbott! The silent assassin.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the wine industry booms :)

Luke Sullivan, 33 of Fawkner
"I'm a hard worker who enjoys a drink."

But to lazy to produce his own beer.
Sorry big boy, you'll get no sympathy from me.
Next time spend your hard earned on a Coopers starter kit rather than tattoos.

Didn't realize how much tax we pay
$15 full strength beer case
$20 spirits bottle
$35 rtd case

My expenditure in brewing gear doesn't seem so bad after all. After all 1 keg is $30 in tax savings.

Weighing up the revenue collected by the government from alcohol, against the cost of alcohol abuse on society, I doubt if the government would ever come close to squaring the balance sheet, taking into account crime, road accidents, health system, sickies etc.
Warms the cockles of ones heart knowing we are legally making a psychoactive drug without the burden of taxes which commercial brewers have to pay. :)

Abbot, the silent assasin. F#*K YEAH, OT but he's silently trying to remove penalty rates from your awards too. Hes at the fair work commision now, so not only will beer be dearer, you will be getting paid less. What a C#@T!

WHAT A PACK OF C#%TS.

To be objective, it was hawke who brought this in, and Rudd who fiddled with it in order to raise revenue

"Under changes made by the former Rudd government, the tax on cigarettes and tobacco will increase in March and September every year in line with average wages, which is usually a higher measure."

Yes Bloody Oath!!! - Stop the indexation creep in all excise taxes and instead make in fair and have every one contribute equally to revenue raising for all the social benefits such as health, education, pensions and welfare payments like the dole etc by including the GST on all food and increase the level to 12%

My 2c worth

Wobbly

Dave70 said:
Luke Sullivan, 33 of Fawkner
"I'm a hard worker who enjoys a drink."

But to lazy to produce his own beer.
Sorry big boy, you'll get no sympathy from me.
Next time spend your hard earned on a Coopers starter kit rather than tattoos.
Thats a bit harsh, i know a lot of people who enjoy a drink, but dont like the idea of making it, dont like the process, or just plain old dont want to.

At the end of the day, a lot of home brewers are the next commercial brewers and if people dont buy beer (regardless of the brand) then breweries dont exist and everyone home brews, or doesnt drink.

Personally if i dont have any beer on hand i go down to dans and pick up something to try or something i know is half decent.

Not everyone wants to home brew. The issue is the over taxing government, every single thing gets taxed in this country in some way shape or form, yet when it is something people enjoy, or something that encourages social interaction, it gets taxed twice so they make extra money from it. Ludicrous!

EDIT: They dont need to increase taxes to make more money, they need to stop wasting money on the pleasures that the majority of Australians dont get to enjoy. Stop the pension and office and staff after politicians retire etc.

When you look into it, there is billions spent each year on useless crap, that has no effect on our health, education, or national infrastructure that could be slashed without anyone knowing.

Keep the utilities owned by the govt, that way it makes them money AND stops the over inflated prices. The options are virtually endless!

My issue is these excises make it hard for micro and local brewers to compete with the big guys. Give more excise relief and support small business.

Alcohol is a treat, something to enjoy when/if you can. Many people around the globe wouldn't even know what a beer tastes like. I'd say people just simply need to harden up and look at the great country we live in where you can brew your own beer and save the tax if you want to for that reason, or you can just pay the tax and enjoy the beer in a great country. It's not cheap to maintain a quality of life such that we have in Australia.

"Australians pay amongst the highest tax for their beer in the world," said CUB corporate affairs director Jeremy Griffith.
"Brewing is a great local industry, we want it to continue to grow and prosper. We ask the Government to give consumers a break and freeze the CPI adjustments."
**** off. More like you want your profits to continue to increase by extraordinary amounts for your shareholders.

zeggie said:
My issue is these excises make it hard for micro and local brewers to compete with the big guys. Give more excise relief and support small business.
I agree with this also.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Alcohol is a treat, something to enjoy when/if you can. Many people around the globe wouldn't even know what a beer tastes like. I'd say people just simply need to harden up and look at the great country we live in where you can brew your own beer and save the tax if you want to for that reason, or you can just pay the tax and enjoy the beer in a great country. It's not cheap to maintain a quality of life such that we have in Australia.

"Australians pay amongst the highest tax for their beer in the world," said CUB corporate affairs director Jeremy Griffith.
"Brewing is a great local industry, we want it to continue to grow and prosper. We ask the Government to give consumers a break and freeze the CPI adjustments."
**** off. More like you want your profits to continue to increase by extraordinary amounts for your shareholders.
+1
Bridges said:
Abbot, the silent assasin. F#*K YEAH, OT but he's silently trying to remove penalty rates from your awards too. Hes at the fair work commision now, so not only will beer be dearer, you will be getting paid less. What a C#@T!

WHAT A PACK OF C#%TS.
As to the Awards changing that won't happen,its a complete beat up.

zeggie said:
all it does is make "cheaper" beer (ie, mass produced with 30% cane sugar, & minimal tasty ingredients [hops, spec malts]) even more profitable than good all grain beer. I'd prefer the tax to be based on ABV. If alcohol itself is what is causing the societal problems (health, addiction & violence) then tax the alcohol.

DJ_Lethal: the mega breweries win either way. they will continue to produce lowest-common-denominator beers and people will accept the price.

zeggie said:
At the end of the day the taxes are taken up by the end user, but I agree that government should do more to encourage any fledgling business, be it micro breweries or any sort of manufacturing that will support a work force, because we are going to need a lot more employment opportunities available in the near future.

Haha, crap article. Can't believe it's Murdoch press.

EXCLUSIVE: THE biggest leap in taxes on beer and spirits for three years has sparked calls for a new deal for drinkers.
The Abbott Government has quietly increased the tax on a slab of full-strength beer by 29c and added 11c to a case of light-strength beer
Ah what is that?

The automatic excise system was introduced by Bob Hawke's government 30 years ago to avoid the Government having to announce the bad news in the Budget.

Liam_snorkel said:
all it does is make "cheaper" beer (ie, mass produced with 30% cane sugar, & minimal tasty ingredients [hops, spec malts]) even more profitable than good all grain beer. I'd prefer the tax to be based on ABV. If alcohol itself is what is causing the societal problems (health, addiction & violence) then tax the alcohol.

They already do tax by ABV%. Hence why DIPA's of >7% are ridiculously expensive here compared to the US. It's also why CUB dropped VB from 4.6% to 4.4% or whatever a few years ago.

zeggie said:
I would love to see excise relief if the brewery produces under X amount of liquor per year, and that takes into account the entire companies production values, so if the "microbrewery" happens to be owned by CUB or Lion then it doesn't get such exemptions.

Scooby Tha Newbie said:
As to the Awards changing that won't happen,its a complete beat up.
you don't remember the last time they where ruling us?

Back