Screw Cap Bottles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny_bjc

Reaction score
Hi,

Just bottled up my first brew using both twist top and crown seal bottles. The twist tops do not fold around the bottle neck as well. How do I know if it is sufficently sealing the bottle?

Thanks

I've only ever used xxxx screw top tallies and I've never had a problem(plus you don't need a bottle opener any more), What I do check for is that you can see the slight protrusion on top of the cap which should be the rim of the bottle pressing against the seal. Cheers Kingo.

I think as the gas expands the cap also tightens- not sure where I read this from though.

Yep, true. I had some XXXX tallies that didn't seem to seal that well. They held in the beer, but when I shook it after it had been primed, gas escaped. Was a bit worried but couldn't see anything I could do about it right there and then. Left them alone and by drinking time, everyone was sealed properly.

Did you use a brigalow bench capper? because the one that i tried wouldn't seal twist tops properly

Hi,

Just bottled up my first brew using both twist top and crown seal bottles. The twist tops do not fold around the bottle neck as well. How do I know if it is sufficently sealing the bottle?

Thanks

I use XXXX tallies and always press twice giving a quater turn of the bottle between presses. Yet to have a problem.

Daz

I use XXXX tallies and always press twice giving a quater turn of the bottle between presses. Yet to have a problem.

Daz
+1 - NP here either.

Cheers,

microbe

If you're using a bench capper you should have no problems at all. I use twist tops quite a bit and have never had a dud seal.

If you're using a bench capper you should have no problems at all. I use twist tops quite a bit and have never had a dud seal.

I have used a bench capper and twin lever using twist top caps from the LHBS, they are a little longer from the bend to the bottom of the cap, seem to work a treat. Unfortunately they are a bit more expensive than true crown seals.

May have to try the crowns with 1/4 turn trick and save myself $1 per 150.

I cap mostly twist tops of various brands, using a hammer-on style capper that has been mounted onto a drill press. never had a bad seal.

No worries here either - got a 'Super Automatica' from the LHBS and its great! Only thing I didn't like was the little bottle-ejector magnetic-tip thing in the middle of the capper so I took it off. No change to bottling, just doesnt force bottles out while I'm taking them.

I use Tooheys longies and VB stubbies that I picked up from the recycling depot and have no worries whatsoever. I use cheap caps from Woolies.

Cheers - boingk

Never had an issue with twist top bottles since using my superautomatica. Cap as per normal. No double press or screwing around required.

Only problem I ever had was with the stupid lever capper thingy that came with my coopers home brew kit that got me started. It mangled the glass ridge below the threading on every twist top I bottled. Threw it out after my first brew... not 1 problem since purchasing the superautomatica.

I am another 'SuperAutomatica' user who caps twist tops. All of my bottles are stubbies and 90% are twist-tops and I have never had a problem with them sealing, despite several HBS telling me that I "have to use crown top tallies...we sell them for $13/dozen" and they weren't even rinsed.

You should be right, if you are unsure just make sure that there is an initial seal my inverting the bottle.

:icon_cheers:
EK

May have to try the crowns with 1/4 turn trick and save myself $1 per 150.

$0.00666666 per bottle saving. WOW. :eek:

And who said we were tight arses.

FROGMAN....

Another happy Super-Automatica user, and cap 100% twist top bottles with no sealing problems so far...and no twisting, turning etc

I should point out two things...using the Super-Automatica you can "press" the cap on so that the edges of the crown seal don't bend down, you need to push through that resistance to get it to cap properly. Also, my LHBS said when I bought it that there are some HBS's that have old stock presses that only do non-twist top bottles...no idea to the validity of that statement, but he said if it didn't work, to bring it back...but as I said, never had a problem...

Loving the testamonials here! And yes, as Leigh said there is quite some resistance on the 'Automatics - it confounded me at first as I didn't want to press too hard and break the bottle [even though glass is excellent at taking compression forces, its tension it can't stand].

Back