Scottish 80/-

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boybrewer

Reaction score
Hi All ;
I have decided to make a Scottish 80/- recipe for I have some London Ale yeast starter left over .

Here is the recipe . Is there anything I should change ?

3.5 kg Pale Malt I have JW
1.5 kg Munich 20 EBC
550 gm Crystal 80 EBC
280 gm Crystal 160 EBC
60 gm Choc Malt Just for colour

25 gm Fuggles @ 60 min
16 gm Styrian @ 15 min
17 gm Willamette @ 1min

London Ale WLP 013

Mash in @ 70*c for 90 min you know the rest .

Hi All ;
I have decided to make a Scottish 80/- recipe for I have some London Ale yeast starter left over .

Here is the recipe . Is there anything I should change ?

3.5 kg Pale Malt I have JW
1.5 kg Munich 20 EBC
550 gm Crystal 80 EBC
280 gm Crystal 160 EBC
60 gm Choc Malt Just for colour

25 gm Fuggles @ 60 min
16 gm Styrian @ 15 min
17 gm Willamette @ 1min

London Ale WLP 013

Mash in @ 70*c for 90 min you know the rest .

I add a slight mount of roasted barley 20-30g and only use med to dark crystal, also marris otter is the base malt you are looking for IMO
cut back the choc malt or replace it with carafa spec 1 to around 15g

Cheers
DJ

Have a gander at my recipe. It can be scaled up or down depending on the OG you want. It's in nearly constant rotation in my beer fridge.

Hey there Beer Belly,

I agree with the previous comment about using Marris Otter. Also, not sure that Willamette at 1 minute is such a great idea, as Scottish 80/-'s are malt driven beers with little hop aroma.

I'd also go for a scottish ale yeast. If you have your heart set on using the London Ale, you should probably make a London Ale, perhaps a nice bitter or a mild.

cheers

grant

Doubt this beer would qualify as a Scottish 80S in any competition, as there is too much hop there. Call it an English Bitter and I think you have a good looking recipe. (though I'd swap the Williamette and the styrians around).

If you are brewing to style, amend your hop schedule. If you are brewing for taste, then go for it.

The key to this beer is a touch of Roast Barley for colour adjustment and to give you that characteristic dryness in the finish contracting against the sweet toffee/cramelisation notes from an extended boil/sorched wort.

As noted this is a malt driven beer. What you have got is sufficient however my approach to this style when i didnt have marris otter was to use 5% biscuit/imperial/aromatic malt (your choice) with my base malt (JW Ale/Bairds pale, cant remember) to give it some nutty/berry qualities over the breadcrust/melanoidens you get from munich. Just seems more up the ally of british ales over munich. Just my 2c.

Other than that, it looks good.
Doubt this beer would qualify as a Scottish 80S in any competition, as there is too much hop there. Call it an English Bitter and I think you have a good looking recipe. (though I'd swap the Williamette and the styrians around).

Very true, look at using a boil addition only or a small flavour addition

Actually here is the recipe i recently did. I caramelised an extra 5L of wort from the runnings (middle runnings) and condensed it down to a thick syrup (a few 100mls and added that back to the main boil with around 5 mins to spare. I didnt add the specialty malts to it on this recipe i posted although i think i made a late change after posting on the recipe thread. Either way, 5% would be subbed from the base malt.

Scottish Kilt Splitter
Scottish Export 80/-

Type: All Grain
Date: 10/03/2010
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00

Ingredients
4.70 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 88.68 %
0.30 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.66 %
0.20 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (17.3 SRM) Grain 3.77 %
0.10 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (412.9 SRM) Grain 1.89 %
10.00 gm Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 14.6 IBU
25.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.80 %] (15 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
9.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.74 %
Bitterness: 21.1 IBU
Est Color: 11.4 SRM

Mash Profile
Single Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.00 L of water at 73.0 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 8.00 L of water at 85.8 C 73.0 C

Notes
CaCl2 3g to mash
CaCl2 6g to boil
Sparge extra 5L for caramelisation of wort

Hey there Beer Belly,

I agree with the previous comment about using Marris Otter. Also, not sure that Willamette at 1 minute is such a great idea, as Scottish 80/-'s are malt driven beers with little hop aroma.

I'd also go for a scottish ale yeast. If you have your heart set on using the London Ale, you should probably make a London Ale, perhaps a nice bitter or a mild.

cheers

grant

Agree, also as Fatgodzilla said.

I would also go (in future versions) for Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise which is grown in the Scottish Lowlands. I've drunk many a McEwans and Maclays (sadly deceased) 80/- ales and they are totally different to the southern beers such as Courage Directors, Abbott Ale etc.

Thanks for your input guys . As I wanted to use up the rest of the London Ale yeast I thought I would turn my hand to a Scottish Ale . I will still go ahead with the Scottish Ale and drop the Willemette altogether . I am aware of the roast barley but thought I could get away with the choc instead .
So now my recipe is :-

3.50 kg Pale Malt
1.50 kg Munich
280 gm Crystal 80 L ( 158 EBC)
60 gm Roast Barley

25 gm Styrian @ 60 min
16 gm Fuggles @ 15 min

London Ale yeast ( WLP 013 ) 2lt starter

Cheers
Beerbully

PS. It is not suppose to be to style I just like hoppy beer . If I was to put a beer in a comp I would then brew to style . :)

Thanks for your input guys . As I wanted to use up the rest of the London Ale yeast I thought I would turn my hand to a Scottish Ale . I will still go ahead with the Scottish Ale and drop the Willemette altogether . I am aware of the roast barley but thought I could get away with the choc instead .
So now my recipe is :-

3.50 kg Pale Malt
1.50 kg Munich
280 gm Crystal 80 L ( 158 EBC)
60 gm Roast Barley

25 gm Styrian @ 60 min
16 gm Fuggles @ 15 min

London Ale yeast ( WLP 013 ) 2lt starter

Cheers
Beerbully
drop the roast barley to 30g mate should be a nice

Back