Schooners In Victoria

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No... that's kinda the point of the whole thread... :p
Perhaps, but as I've had a different experience, one's perception doesn't always equal reality.

It seemed strange to me that pints were somehow normal, bur schooners not so. That's why I asked my question.

Perhaps, but as I've had a different experience, one's perception doesn't always equal reality.

It seemed strange to me that pints were somehow normal, bur schooners not so. That's why I asked my question.
In Melbourne, it's been predominantly pots for my 16-years of pubbing... with pints becoming more prevalent as time has gone on, to now becoming almost as normal as the pot. But I have noticed the emergence of the Northern schooner creeping southward.

Haha, you dumb *******,it's not a schooner, it's a sailboat.

In Melbourne, it's been predominantly pots for my 16-years of pubbing... with pints becoming more prevalent as time has gone on, to now becoming almost as normal as the pot. But I have noticed the emergence of the Northern schooner creeping southward.
Interesting.

Maybe coming from a border town the schooner was more prevalent and not so strange, hence why I'm more used to them. I guess when I go to Melbourne and ask for one, I'm one of the minority :D

Another reason I always got em was value for money. I always felt I got more bang for my buck with a schooner, so to speak. More so again with a pint. Mind you these days, the beers I order in pubs are way more expensive than the old carlton draught i used to get.

Anyone who orders a midi gets beaten to death by their mates.

Well not sure about death, but there would be some jokes.

But a Middie of light beer however... that should carry a minimum mandatory sentence for crimes against being Australian

I'm from Melbourne, and growing up it was all pots and jugs (I'm 30). Pints seem to have become more popular over the last 10 years.

I dont think I had ever even heard of a schooner till I was at least in my early 20s.

I thought we had it nailed correctly here in SA, and all you other states have it wrong! :lol: :p

Good thing I drink at home nowadays. But yeah we are behind the times and love confusing interstaters....

Here in SA its:

Butcher 185ml (seldom orders or seen)
Schooner 285ml
Pint 425ml
Imp Pint 565ml (-ish I think)

A while back, a similar thread was discussing this and the move to metric. 250, 500 and 1L nation wide would make things easier!

As the old guy said in George Orwell's "1984" - I miss the old pint, half a litre isn't enough and a litre makes me pee. :p

What do the Yanks drink? Their pints are completely different to ours - 473 ml. Which is why "going down to the store to get a gallon of milk" isn't quite as startling as it sounds.

Funny thing is that while the British pint has infiltrated Australian pubs, the Australian schooner recently got legal sanction to be served in British pubs.

'After exerting an unrivalled grip on Britains drinkers for centuries, the traditional pint of beer faces its first substantial competition: from a Whitehall-approved smaller measure.
While the imperial pint saw off the last threat from Brussels three years ago by winning an unlimited opt-out from metric measures, pub traditionalists have lost their battle to halt the serving of less capacious Australian-style schooners. '

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fo...internalSearch#

Personally am not fussed whether I get a schooner or a pint as long as the price is relative - but seems like most places where I've ended up with a schooner has been at pint prices (in perth)

Personally am not fussed whether I get a schooner or a pint as long as the price is relative - but seems like most places where I've ended up with a schooner has been at pint prices (in perth)
Perth pint prices usually = other states 1 litre prices :rolleyes:

When I was in Welly they were drinking pints in conical glasses. One of them made a sneaky return to Queensland B) and on measuring, yup it's a schooner.
I notice that some Sydney pubs are now using them.

View attachment 55727
So now does the Brekky Creek Hotel! For at least 3 months now, schooners 'off the wood' comes in those conical glasses.
I was told that they were less likely to break when dropped - but I miss the shorter, fat at the top old style glasses

Latest posts

Back