Schofferhofer Hefeweizen Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synthetase

Reaction score
I have a couple of bottles of this rather tasty brew kicking around my place at the moment and I was thinking of sub-culturing the yeast. Does anyone know if the bottle yeast is the same as that which is used for primary fermentation?

I've heard that you cannot culture this yeast, but with Schneider Weiss you can. Still, the bottles would be old and abused, Wyeast would be a better option. 3068 is the classic hefe yeast, or you could try 3056, 3333, 3638.

Once I posted a list of beers here on AHB, but cannot find it anymore, that could be good for reculturing yeasts, others not.
If I recall right, Erdinger is not a candidate for reculturing.

ahhhh....Ive found it:

qualified beers Geeignete (Hefe)Weizenbiere:
Schneider-Weisse (Kelheim),
Maisel Hefeweizen (Bayreuth),
Kuchlbauer Weisse (Abensberg),
Ritter St. Georgen-Brauerei (Nennslingen);
Gutmann Hefeweizen (Titting),
Pinkus-Hefeweizen (Pinkus Mller, Mnster),
Prinzregent-Luitpold-Weizen (Schlossbrauerei Kaltenberg)
Appenzeller Hefeweizen (Schweiz).

possibly qualified: Tucher Hefeweizen (Nrnberg).

not qualified Weizenbiere:
Erdinger, Schfferhofer, Oettinger, Franziskaner, Andechser (what a pity!), Pyraser

thats it, have fun :icon_cheers:

Handy info from Zwickel

I'm gonna culture it up this winter for a lager. Apparently that's what it is. Just for a 9L batch to see how it turns out.

I'm gonna culture it up this winter for a lager. Apparently that's what it is. Just for a 9L batch to see how it turns out.
That would be a weird thing to do.
Despite the fact that the Shof yeast in the bottle is theoretically a lager yeast, it would have picked up some distinctly wheaty characteristics during its time in the bottle.
I recommend making a plain starter for this yeast and drinking it first to see what charactristics it displays.
I think you may find it does not drop out of suspension well (so the Shof is cloudier than the Kristal) and displays some interesting wheat characteristics.

Have read in a few places that Shofferhofer yeast is not primary strain (an ale strain) but a lager strain added prior to bottling as some others suggest.

Unless you're planning on fermenting low temp you might wind up with a very 'mousy' flavour in your beer.

But if you decide to give it a crack, let us know your results. Happy to be proven wrong as most of us here would probably be going on heresay, and not actually tried to do it.
Cocko's link looks interesting, but a lot of unsure question marks on that page - so hard to know for sure there.

Might do a search around on this myself and see if I can find any info from anyone who's tried it - was actually talked out of doing the very same thing by an experienced H'Ber who's attitude was that by the time this yeast leaves Germany and reaches our shores it is far from fresh - he only re-cultures Coopers himself as going interestate is more trustworthy and less likely to be stressed. But you do hear of people using Chimay successfully a lot without issue. Never head of anyone doing the same with Shofferhofer though.

Hopper.

I brewed a wheat with some recultured yeast from a grand ridge natural blonde (back in 2005) and from my record it was tart, clovey and citrus tasting (probably similar to the danstar munich yeast).

If you're wanting banana I can't help as I don't particularly like bananery weizens atm....

Back