Say It Isn't So. Little Creatures Owned By Tooheys?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppingMad

Ein Stein
Reaction score
Lion, in the midst of a takeover from Japanese giant Kirin, forged a joint venture with Heineken in 2004 and bought leading premium brewer J Boag & Son in 2008. It also has a stake in Little World Beverages, a publicly listed micro-brewer.

Source:Page 2 of this Age Article

Little World = Little Creatures. Hopefully Lion's shareholding isn't too high. I don't want to be accused of drinking megaswill! :ph34r:

Hopper.

Yep :(

WIKI LINK

QUOTE:
Although often associated with the independent craft brewery movement in Australia, Little Creatures Pty Ltd is in fact a subsidiary of Little World Beverages, a publicly listed company, approximately 40% owned by the giant Japanese-controlled beverages company Lion Nathan.[1]

Source:Page 2 of this Age Article

Little World = Little Creatures. Hopefully Lion's shareholding isn't too high. I don't want to be accused of drinking megaswill! :ph34r:

Hopper.

I believe LN have a 40% share in Little World. And Little World have a 20% stake in Stone and Wood. I'm thinking Stone and Wood are looking to get a 10% share of a homebrewer. Look out for that one.

I believe LN have a 40% share in Little World. And Little World have a 20% stake in Stone and Wood. I'm thinking Stone and Wood are looking to get a 10% share of a homebrewer. Look out for that one.
Take me take me (for a couple of mil)

:angry: Is there nothing sacred?

Well at least I have Tony's clone to remind me of when it was good stuff they produced.

Cheers

Chappo

I think if memory serves Tooheys/LN have always had the 40% holding, I remember something about doing a deal for transport and distribution, the big brewers do lots of things wrong, but they do have one of the logistic systems going.

Very smart move on the part of Little Creatures

MHB

I think if memory serves Tooheys/LN have always had the 40% holding, I remember something about doing a deal for transport and distribution, the big brewers do lots of things wrong, but they do have one of the logistic systems going.

MHB

Spot on. I reckon if it wasn't for those logistics we probably would never have heard about it in the Eastern States. It's a long way over the Nullarbor. Similarly with Blue Tongue and Coca Cola. However in the case of that brew the takeover hasn't done anything for the beer. Although I had a bottle of the lager in the Caboolture RSL when their gas system failed last week and it was a cut above VB and XXXX. Not much of a cut, but a cut nonetheless. :p

MHB

Didn't we have this thread last year?

nothing has changed other than a renewed media push it seems..........

Didn't we have this thread last year?

nothing has changed other than a renewed media push it seems..........

The big guys have done a pretty good job of camouflaging their stake or outright ownership of these "craft" brands. There was this fairly ridiculous article in today's Age business about premium beer:
"For heavyweights Foster's Group and Lion Nathan it means forging innovations to their portfolio of beers or risk being overrun by the nimble new players in the beer market who are grabbing market share and the fidelity of a thirsty public with catchy labels like 'Fat Yak' or 'Little Creatures'."

Hm.

:angry: Is there nothing sacred?

Well at least I have Tony's clone to remind me of when it was good stuff they produced.

Cheers

Chappo

chappo mate,

Lion Nathan are shareholders in the company, not owners. The good stuff they produce is no different for this.

And they have been shareholders for a long time, the beer Tony cloned was made while they had an interest.

The big guys have done a pretty good job of camouflaging their stake or outright ownership of these "craft" brands. There was this fairly ridiculous article in today's Age business about premium beer:
"For heavyweights Foster's Group and Lion Nathan it means forging innovations to their portfolio of beers or risk being overrun by the nimble new players in the beer market who are grabbing market share and the fidelity of a thirsty public with catchy labels like 'Fat Yak' or 'Little Creatures'."

Hm.

Yup, crap article that one. Also "Expanding Pallet" when referring to taste not delivery :) I must check with Chep whether they can supply expanding pallets...

I'd like an expanding pallet so that I can retire my pallette which only ever interferes with my palate.

I say well done little creatures, smart strategic thinking increased capital, access to distribution networks for only a minority share.

Cheers

PAul

Exactly, the point is that the beer fanatics who started Little Creatures still own more than the basic majority share. The LC brewers would roll over and die before they let Lion Nathan have any kind of say in the actual beer.

It also stops the big brewers stopping pubs stocking their product. Most pubs are contracted to one of the majors and have agreements stopping them selling product from anyone else.

Without the LN share you wouldn't get it in LN pubs, especially once it got popular and started competing the LN products.

Cheers

Mark

"From said:
A VB or Toohey's might be fine in front of the couch, but turning up to a super-trendy dinner party with a six-pack of Beck's will probably be more welcomed than a slab of Melbourne Bitter.
How can one sentence generate so much hate in me?

Latest posts

Back