Saw An Old Copper Boiler On Ebay. Can I Use It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Copper in a boiler will be fine, no issues.

Go for it!

There's another good thread here discussing copper boilers.. bout a week ago, check the search engine.. lots of goodies in there. :)

Pretty sure GMK on the forums here either uses or used to use a large copper washing boiler for a boil kettle. Might be worth dropping him a PM.

hi. hope someone can help.

I read in another forum post Malleys copper boilers can be used to AG. Is that right?

if so what extra equipment would I need, etc?

Is this boiler the right type: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=290358555225

Looks like it'll clean up ok. From looking at the pictures on feebay,
The tap and liner doesn't look to be copper. I'd expect the copper to be a darker colour. To me It looks like brass.

Some people frown on brass because of the lead content. Personally, I have no problems using brass in my brewery.

Ask the seller to take to part of it with a scourer to the bare metal and post some pics, you can make an informed decision then.

Lefty

These really great if you can get a good one & set it up right.

I think the paint inside might be a zinc based cold gal type coating. I'm not sure if that's safe or not. Do watch out for lead soldered joints around the drain plug too.

I'd also be asking for pics of the burner. A big piece of cast iron i the bottom of something that old might not be in the best condition.

I retrofitted one with a 2 ring burner once. With a HP reg it makes a great setup. Good luck!

God forbid you are going to consider boiling wort in a copper vessel :eek:

God forbid you are going to consider boiling wort in a copper vessel :eek:

I Know, how irresponsible, then you'd be as bad as those horrible Pilsener Urquell people!:

new_brewing_hall_plzen.jpg

Iirc, some brewers add pieces of copper into the boil - to help yeast growth when it is pitched into the wort.

Iirc, some brewers add pieces of copper into the boil - to help yeast growth when it is pitched into the wort.

Would adding "yeast nutrient" at the end of the boil combat this problem for people that have all stainess breweries :D ??

Would adding "yeast nutrient" at the end of the boil combat this problem for people that have all stainess breweries :D ??

Thanks a bunch to everyone for the info. The lining looks copper. Should be fun to mess around with (assuming I win the auction) :icon_cheers:

I Know, how irresponsible, then you'd be as bad as those horrible Pilsener Urquell people!:

View attachment 31853

I wasn't going to say anything in this thread - but ....

IBD paper on brewhouse design

Page two, picture at the top left. The same Pilsner Urquell brewhouse as the one in your picture, but interestingly from the opposite side.. where you can see the stainless vessels in the background. Note the blurb that mentions the very pretty copper clad vessels in the foreground...

Mind you - the paragraph right next to it talks about how SAB Miller have chosen to keep using direct gas fire and a copper heat exchange surface... so there must be some copper actually inside those puppies at least.

Its a cracking good read on brewhouse design and other stuff too btw.

Now - to get the hell out of this thread and stay out :ph34r:

I'm in the middle of using a copper hotwater cylinder for my set up, giving me 2 90ltr pots..... nothing wrong with copper, good heat conductor, go for it.................cheap too.

Latest posts

Back