Sausage Coil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pollux

RoachHaus Brewery
Reaction score
After watching too much Jamie at home last night, we decided to make one of the recipes for dinner tonight.

Coiled pork and beef sausages served on a bed of roasted veges and topped with a red onion gravy.......So tasty.

awesome_sausage_005.JPG

awesome_sausage_010.JPG

awesome_sausage_018.JPG

awesome_sausage_020.JPG

Looks good pollux!!

Can you share the cooking times and all that stuff?

Looks like a winner

Cheers

I'll rewatch the episode (have to love foxtel iQ) with the laptop in front of me when I get home..

Looks great Pollux!!

just a little bit of info - a sausage made in a coil is known as a Cumberland sausage - it originated in Cumberland England - it is also traditionally made using all pork. Some people think a cumberland sausage is just a pork sausage but to be a true Cumberland it must be long and coiled tightly around itself.

useless info but interesting.

BEC:

I'll give you a basic run down, being a JO recipe it isn't exact, he served the sausages and gravy on a bed of bubble and squeak, you could really use anything that would soak some of the onion gravy juice, mash potatoes, roast veges etc etc.

Okay, here goes.

Get two lots of sausages (6 of each), one being pork, one beef, remove the twists to make each set of 6 into one LONG sausage, flatten the sausages and lay them side by side, rub a bit of olive oil over them, season with salt and pepper, sprinkle on some rosemary, and grated nutmeg.

Bring the two sausages together, making a sandwich with the seasonings in the centre, coil this as shown in the pictures and use long skewers to hold it together, set aside.
Preheat oven and pan to 220degC, grease the base of the pan with a bit of olive oil, throw in 3 chopped up red onions, seasoned with some salt and pepper, throw in a knob of butter. Sit the sausages on top and bake for 40mins.

For the gravy, remove the sausage from the pan, set them aside for now, get the roasting pan on the stove (obviously gas is best), add one tablespoon of flour, stir, then add a 1/4 of a 500ml bottle of balsamic vinegar, and roughly 250ml of chicken or vege stock, reduce to the right consistency and serve.

Merc: That's an interesting, yet outside of a pub trivia night useless, piece of information. Cheers :p

Thanks for that Pollux!!!!

Will try it this week.

Mercs . . . .I can see this being a winner on MM ;-)

Thanks for that Pollux!!!!

Will try it this week.

Mercs . . . .I can see this being a winner on MM ;-)

I made a Buffalo Cumberland sausage with a capsicum and porter chutney on my Darwin episode. Recipe is my book :rolleyes:

Nice plug :p

Actually, is it possible to get old episodes of your show? DVD or similar out?

So, um, you didn't actually make the sausage ? Not really a big deal then.

Nice plug :p

Actually, is it possible to get old episodes of your show? DVD or similar out?

Channel Seven are repeating the episodes either on a sat or sunday at 5.30 depending where you live in Oz and it is also playing on Channel 7 two on a Sat at 9pm I think. We are looking at releasing the series on DVD for Xmas this year.

I agree there is nothing like making your own sausage but hey if you cant for some reason then make sure you buy good ones!

Boerwurst is often found in large coils just get the butcher to do up a large pork sausage(if you dont make your own sausage) and coil them together!

Ive never seen it done like that with the Veg.......but then i just eat the sausage and wash it down with beer :)

Latest posts

Back