Sapporo Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Wes, Any idea what its been replaced with? Or is it just the non brewery brewers that cant access galaxy?

Cheers

I did hear that Quasar malt had been bred as a replacement but have also seen recently that Galaxy is again available. It was originally only available to the Japanese breweries but we did get access to it back in 2000 or 2001 for the HB and micro markets in Aus. It was always strictly a BB product though.

Wes

I did hear that Quasar malt had been bred as a replacement but have also seen recently that Galaxy is again available. It was originally only available to the Japanese breweries but we did get access to it back in 2000 or 2001 for the HB and micro markets in Aus. It was always strictly a BB product though.

Wes
Wes is correct. Galaxy is certainly available, and as noted on another thread a great favorite of brewers in Canberra. Those who use it swear by it, those who don't (or perhaps don't know better) reckon its the same as BB pale, and from a spec sheet they are pretty close.
I do know it has a very tight spec though.
It is a great malt for a dry clean and clear beer if used exclusively and a fantastic adjunct for higher ABV beers.

K

Those who use it swear by it, those who don't (or perhaps don't know better) reckon its the same as BB pale

I can't imgaine homebrewers who had no actual experience of an ingredient or process would be so brazen as to make claims about subjects for which they had no surety?

AHB has moved a long way from actually answering questions as asked.

Sorry to contribute to that mess. I'm not me usual self.

I can't imgaine homebrewers who had no actual experience of an ingredient or process would be so brazen as to make claims about subjects for which they had no surety?
I suspect, though I have no sureity that the brewers in Canberra who swear by it may have used in the past...
K

@ drK: I mean the ones who haven't used it - surely they would make no bold claims one way or the other, as suggested in your original post.

I'm having a good natured dig at you based on previous posts regarding processes you haven't tried. I apologise for OT and when I say good natured, I mean it.

@ polk: I balance that with trying to make the sun shine brighter every day.

@ drK: I mean the ones who haven't used it - surely they would make no bold claims one way or the other, as suggested in your original post.

mmm this is perhaps confusing, earlier I noted
Wes is correct. Galaxy is certainly available, and as noted on another thread a great favorite of brewers in Canberra. Those who use it swear by it, those who don't (or perhaps don't know better) reckon its the same as BB pale, and from a spec sheet they are pretty close.
I do know it has a very tight spec though.
It is a great malt for a dry clean and clear beer if used exclusively and a fantastic adjunct for higher ABV beers.

K
I am at times confusing, though more often I admit confused and particularly so in your assertion of bold claims by brewers in Canberra, in fact I see not even a suggestion in my post, then, of course, I was referencing brewers in Canberra rather than wider, so you may be correct if you redact the canberra ref.

K

I wasn't talking about canberra brewers.

The point I was making was in direct reference to the exact part that I quoted from your text - nothing more, nothing less. Implied in your post (fairly explicitly) is that some who have not used BB whatever make claims about it that are based on nothing, considering they have no actual experience on which to base that claim.

Remember good natured.

Extrapolate.

People make claims about ingredients OR processes about which they have no experience.

You and no chill?

It was a cheap shot but **** it, I saw it and I took it and you are often crytpic at the best of times so I thought I'd give it back.

Call it quits, share a beer sometime when I'm up in canbeera? One of my award winning botulism/dms laden NC ones and one of your delicious chilled ones. Then we go to the wig and pen and drink delicious beers till our eyes close from sheer exhaustion, yes?

I must admit. I went to a japanese restaurant in the city a little while ago where they had sapporo on tap and I guzzled it down. Of all the pale lagers/pilsners I've had recently (not many, admittedly) it is probably the one that stands out in my memory the most. I'm just about due to brew another lager.

Might go something along the lines of:

Base malt (maybe try this galaxy malt you guys are talking about) - 3.5Kg or 70%
Flaked Rice - 1.5Kg or 30%

Bitter to around 20 IBU - what noble hop do you reckon? Hallertau? Tettnang (manticle - I know your answer to this already!)
What about flavour/aroma? I remember (it's been a while) something going on there. Nothing huge but, from memory, something. Might try Kungy's reference:
28g Saaz @ 60minutes

7g saaz @ 15min and 1min
7g hersbrucker @ 15min and 1min

Got some 34/70 that I probably should use, but might give some wy2007 a go.

Soraichi Ace - developed by Sapporo in 1988. Would daresay that modern Sapporo uses it, though maybe it's one of those "it doesn't taste like it did in the old days" kind of beers.

Goomba

I guess it's all in the palate, I like lagers, pilseners and pale ales the most and I think Sapporo is a great beer. I don't like most ales and can't stand stouts unless used in cooking.

So different strokes for different folks but give me that dry and apparently bland beer any day!

Very keen to hear how people's recipes turn out for Sapporo.

Cheers.

100% Wey Pilsner malt and 20 IBUs of NZ Hallertau at 60 minutes (and a Czech yeast) makes a beer that tastes like nearly every subtle, pale, easy-drinking lager in the world.

One of those beers where you look at your glass and see it's empty again.

Also a Sapporo fan but the only Sapporo I've seen here has been BUL cans and bottles out of Canada, but you have lucky enough to get to have it off tap from Japan well I'm jealous.

Recipe wise what I heard had been already said Pils malt, Rice and Saaz hops.

Latest posts

Back