Sanitising (a Little Help Please)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trooper

Reaction score
G'day hope everones well,
I usually use sodium percarbinate for all my steriliing and sanitation needs and dont have any pribs at all.My prob at the moment is that I,ve just about ran out and I gotta kegg up a couple of brews on thursday!the store I go to is miles away from work and its not really worth the trip ,So heres my quick questions 1. grain n grape is close to work I've searching their site and cant find any form of santisers does any body know what they stock? I have heard that napisan is a suitable sanitiser is it true? and last but not least would coopers bottle cleaner/sanitiser tie me over to clean my Kegs ? would love a little help otherwise I gotta haul ass to the other side of town (bugger) :rolleyes:

I've made over 30 brews since I got back into brewing in June and so far has used only:

Woolies $1.15 a bottle bleach about one part to twenty of water. Rinse everything four times afterwards.
Aldi version of Napisan to remove stubborn stuff like yeast rings in bottles.

No probs. No infections. Never a bad bottle.

I'm also lucky that we have solar hot water and at the moment it can literally take your skin off, so I make liberal use of that as well.

I've heard numerous comments on the forum that rinsing with town water undoes everything that you have done whilst sanitising, but taken to its logical conclusion that means that Coopers would go out of business tomorrow as we pour gallons of good old town water into kits n kilos and ninety nine times out of a hundred end up with a drinkable beer.

They do sell Iodophor, well my LHBS in Perth carries the G&G Iodophor

been using VANISH NAPPYSAN BABY CARE[no smell] for awhile now as a cleaner 2 caps/23l ltr then MILTON anti-bacterial tablets as a sanitiser/1 tab-23ltr[if its safe for baby its safe for BEER] no probs so far and some good beers[both avail at locol supermarket]
Russ

I bought some Star San from Craftbrewer, 19 dollars and this thing will definitely last me over two years. 1ml to 1L of water.

put some in a spray bottle and I'm good to go.

Sodium Percarbonate / Napisan is a cleaner not a Sanitiser, isn't it ?

Sodium Percarbonate / Napisan is a cleaner not a Sanitiser, isn't it ?

Probably, but its all I've ever used and I've NEVER had an infected brew. I've just started using the Aldi version of Napisan and IMHO I think it is a better product as it seems to clean (or sanitise!) everything better with less residual smell. I do plan on switching to iodophor or starsan once I find a place local that sells it <_<

been using VANISH NAPPYSAN BABY CARE[no smell] for awhile now as a cleaner 2 caps/23l ltr then MILTON anti-bacterial tablets as a sanitiser/1 tab-23ltr[if its safe for baby its safe for BEER] no probs so far and some good beers[both avail at locol supermarket]
Russ
Thats 46l of water for sanitising... not the most drought efficient method!

The Coopers one from the supermarket works fine to get out of Jail!

Cheers

Robbo

Dont be fooled..

Napi-san is also a sanitiser...

But must be used with hot water to be effective

I bought some Star San from Craftbrewer, 19 dollars and this thing will definitely last me over two years. 1ml to 1L of water.

put some in a spray bottle and I'm good to go.

Yeah mate get yourself some star san for the future........ Its like the stuff never runs out. Really easy on the pocket :beer:

Dont be fooled..

Napi-san is also a sanitiser...

But must be used with hot water to be effective

How do you go with the detergent side of things. I usually use sodium percarbonate to clean after fermenting. When I am putting a brew on I will clean again with Sodium percarbonate then rinse out with at least two rinses of boiling water. Then the hot wort goes in to no chill.

Cheers Brad

PBW for cleaning... Star San for sanitising..

after trying the above I won't be using anything else... well worth the money, not that it's that much per brew.

Himzo.

Am new to brewing beer (enjoying my new hobby immensely) but have been making wine at home for years... I have always just washed out the bottles with a detergent or, if i have it, oxyper, then rinsed each bottle out twice with really hot water. Afterwards I put them in the oven on 200c for 20mins. The oven will actually STERILISE them... not just sanitise. I use the steam wand on my espresso machine to sterilise any spoons, glasses, tubes, etc that come into contact with the wine/beer. I don't have a keg but if you can get steam into it somehow for about 5 mins that will sterilise it also. You can save so much money on chemicals through the use of heat sterilisation! :icon_cheers:

while we are on sanitising i can get from work a product called bac ban, we use this in the butcher shop at the rate of 3 ml to a litre of water, it comes in 5 litres and costs $30. pretty economical, it is a no rinse product so i am wondering if anyone has heard or used it before, cant see why i couldnt use it in my brewing.

cheers
fergi

while we are on sanitising i can get from work a product called bac ban, we use this in the butcher shop at the rate of 3 ml to a litre of water, it comes in 5 litres and costs $20. pretty economical, it is a no rinse product so i am wondering if anyone has heard or used it before, cant see why i couldnt use it in my brewing.

cheers
fergi

What's in it?

I use phosphoric acid,this I get from a dairy industry supplier.
It's brand name is ' ELIMINATE' and comes in a 20lt container,this costs around $200.00.
If you share the cost with four other brewers you will never need to buy sanitizer again

I notice on their website they make a phosphoric acid/iodine based sanitiser as well,this may even be a better option.

http://www.dasco.com.au/content.cfm?content=31

Batz

You can make it at home Trooper, it's called boiling water, if you want, you can grab some sodium met from the local woolies or coles and make it deadly to all and sundry.........

cheers

Browndog

had the name written down somwhere batz but cant find it, i will look when i go into work on friday and list the active ingredients, from memory it is a long name that i havent heard of.
cheers

fergi

Latest posts

Back