Sanitiser

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rude

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this up again but have read most of the sanitising articles on here & was wondering could I buy some hydrogen peroxide from the chemist to sanitise?

It is 6% so the home brew brands are 3%.

They suggest 0.1% (1ml) per litre for the 3% so for 6% do I use 0.5ml per litre?

Thinking 1ml would be about 20 eye drops.

I really think this would be a good way to sanitise by spraying equipment & swirling some in the bottles & no rinse.

I asked my home brew bloke but he said it wasnt the same it had to be peroxide acetic acid & he wont have any for 2 weeks.But in the wiki article from peas & corn under the sanitiser link it clearly says hydrogen peroxide.

Im confused & was hoping to bottle today & not keen on using the pink stuff ,can you put me straight cheers.

I think the difference is that the commercial peroxide-based sanitisers also have silver ions for stability.

I wouldn't take too much notice of HBS advice, unless you know they are competent. Sometimes they will do anything to sell you something, even if it's not for the best.

Sorry I can't help you on quantities for Chemist based solutions bloke but it is a pretty expensive way to go. You can but 5 litres of Huwasan TR5 (5% peroxide solution with silver ions for long shelf life) from Jaysol Chemicals in O'Connor for about $50 and for typical usage should give you 500 litres of sanitizer :super: . I purchased 5 litres 3 years ago and have used just over half of my container. Feel free to PM me and I'll happily toss a small jar your way for assessment :)
Cheers
Doug

Good timing. I got this one the other day thinking it was a cheaper alternative to the HBS - I paid under $7 for the 400ml bottle compared to almost the same for 250ml at HBS. I know it's not all that expensive but I am pretty liberal with my use of it so any saving is good. This one is 3% - there was a 6% in the same size for the same price but for some reason I just grabbed the 3%.
Will be watching on to see what people think about using chemist gear in place of HBS.

I'm fairly sure that the amounts were a lot more than 1ml/L, though. I don't have the figures at hand, but I seem to recall it was more like 15ml.....although on this, I could be wrong. It was a while back.

If it's the 3% stuff - I use 30ml per litre. Pretty sure that's recommended dilution.

Thanks for youre advice butters,bleach water vinegar looks good but I tried Dougiechaps Huwa-San TR-5 (hydrogen peroxide) 5 litres option.Ill see how it goes.

Oh thanks also wyatt for youre measurements the tr-5 is 5% so between 10-15ml per litre will do me. Mybe there is a Jasol near you mate it seems a good & cheap option.

Latest posts

Back