Sandgroper Christmas Case 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My grand scheme was to have an illustrator friend fashion me the greatest label imaginable in exchange for beer, but I thought, in case swap tradition, I'd leave it to the last minute and knock one out in Word that will bleed when you put it in the fridge. Printing now.

GL - Is it going to be a problem if I drop round either tomorrow or later in the week and pick up my case ?
Missus can drop me off, but can't pick me up and getting a couple of milk crates full of bottles into the cab when you're inebriated never goes well.

BTW - I've got a small party keg dispenser (with gas) if anyone's got a 9L keg they can bring along. I've got nothing on tap at the moment and may or may not have been drinking corona's lately :ph34r:

BTW - I've got a small party keg dispenser (with gas) if anyone's got a 9L keg they can bring along. I've got nothing on tap at the moment and may or may not have been drinking corona's lately :ph34r:

Mika, if you could bring the gear that would be great, flick me an sms if you can't and i'll have to get macgyver to cobble me something together.

No problem leaving beer till later for pickup. Cant offer teh wheelie keg for dispensing as the soda stream bottle is on teh handpump. I have 4 eggs and no breadcrumbs

ok i've got breadcrumbs and some extra eggs covered captain and the Boccocini / Parmesan Risotto Balls are ready to go

risottoballs.JPG

HOORAY! Bet they dont look like that after floating round with a turkey for a while!

That was a bloody magical afternoon, thanks Simon. I thoroughly enjoyed the deep fried degustation and while there were no inflatable animals, Linc's label features a goat in underpants so that makes up for it.

Was a top afternoon GL; thanks once again for offering your premises, organisational expertise and deep frying experience! Thanks too for all those that brought a spare bottle for yours truly and those that brought their bottles to share; not a bad one experienced, despite the self deprecation of brewers describing their brews as faecal, meaty, etc. You WA lads know how to make some good beers!

A cracker of a night ! Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many, thanks to Simon and Fleur Mrs Aus Db and the others who wove the magic to pull this ecletic bunch of lads together to swap beer and eat food (it was far more complicated than it sounds). Thanks to Rob for his eager but pisspoor attempt at the co-ordination of the actual swap, Ian for the pickled eggs, Kook for the manic look that came over his face with the civit coffee ale, Mika for the 2007 swap ale, Ant for the Yeti Oak Aged Imperial Stout :icon_drool2: (was it with chocolate?) , sooooo many funky beers including Kabooby's funky swap offering. And the Oreo's once again reigned supreme in the novelty fry off !!!
Lovely to put so many new names to faces like Churchy, Cubbie, LexP, Kenworthy. Missed you Katie, Nev and Lloydie. I was in heaven !
Thanks all !!
Can't wait to sample the offerings !!
Cheers
Doug

Simon with the great annual address to all and sundry. Somehow we still manage to screw up the swap...
DSC00411.jpg

AusDB getting things going with the great fry !
DSC00412.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmm Deep Fried Turkey !!!!! :icon_drool2:
DSC00413.jpg

Thanks for a great day again Simon, the hospitality was brilliant.

I think you officially have enough vegetable oil left to start your own biodiesel plant!

Thanks for everyone who made such a big effort. Special thanks to Mr and Mrs AusDB for help with food, to SimonW for recognising the rules and coughing up commercial beers in return for hand crafted ones, and to Lloydie for not turning up so that I get a second bottle of each beer!

I have some great photos, will post them up later in the day.

Big thanks to Simon and Fleur for putting on another great case swap. the deepfried offerings went down a treat and the turkey was a triumph. On top of that I don't think I had a bad beer all night. Now to decide what from the case goes in the fridge first

clay

Just to echo the sentiments of those above. Great arvo to be had and thanks very much to Simon and Fleur for their hospitality and Simon's prowess with the deep fryer. Some great food offerings which people had obviously spent alot of time on (didn't make it to turkey time but I'm sure it was great) and great beer to be had. Looking forward to digging through my case of goodies over the next few weeks, months. Cheers!

Yeah thanks Simon for a great afternoon/night lots of different beers to taste and the turkey was choice.Now to go for a walk and burn off those calories from the fryer.lol

Andrew

You wont be the last. I hear a rumour AusDB is only up to dry hopping this morning and is planning to bottle at about 2:30.

ahh the gloss of being an organised newly-web has gone quickly. Welcome back Darryn !

I'll have you know that my labels were completed at 3AM that morning and the last dry hops went in on Friday night.
The beer was bottled and ready to go by 11:30 AM all I can say is thank god for stainless scrubbys or I think I would have given Lincolns pea Super a run for its money and had to make new labels.

Once again a great case swap day many thanks to Simon and Fleur for hosting this monumental event.

The bottled beers, and the winners, and the loser of the bottle comp, as judged by the WAGs.

beer_day_December_2009_011.jpg

beer_day_December_2009_059.jpg

beer_day_December_2009_068.jpg

beer_day_December_2009_071.jpg

Pickup of the mixed case, surprisingly confusing, until we appointed RandyRob as bottle warden

beer_day_December_2009_097.jpg

beer_day_December_2009_136.jpg

beer_day_December_2009_160.jpg

A small sample of the huge anount of food on offer, pickled eggs, deep fried pasta, and Brendanos annointing the fryer with truffle oil.

beer_day_December_2009_017.jpg

beer_day_December_2009_157.jpg

beer_day_December_2009_179.jpg

beer_day_December_2009_192.jpg

beer_day_December_2009_195.jpg

beer_day_December_2009_217.jpg

The turkey, crispy on the outside, moist and cooked through on the inside, not greasy at all.

beer_day_December_2009_260.jpg

beer_day_December_2009_277.jpg

beer_day_December_2009_300.jpg

Back