Sandgroper Case Info

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guest Lurker

Big Dog Brewing
Reaction score
I was hoping to wait a few months and then try my second bottle of oyster stout from the case.

But I drank it yesterday, sorry Sinkas, but I reckon it would be in orbit if I didnt.

Cos the top of the bottle had done this.

bottles005.jpg

...and the bottom had done this! Be worth checking if you havent drunk it.

bottles003.jpg

I was hoping to wait a few months and then try my second bottle of oyster stout from the case.

But I drank it yesterday, sorry Sinkas, but I reckon it would be in orbit if I didnt.

Cos the top of the bottle had done this.
Might have picked up a wild yeast from the Freo Doctor? I would have let Sinkas open that one at his house/backyard. :D What kind of pressure would you need to do that? Good thing it was Pet.
GB

Thanks for the warning GL, the cap on mine is raised but I'll leave it in the sun for a bit to see if the bottom will pop too.

The bottom on my bottle was popped when I got it. It's been in the fridge for a while now though, hopefully it will be OK. Would hate to come back from holidays and find a pool room smelling of oyster stout :icon_vomit:

Well What can I say, this beer is resisting the incarceration of the bottle, it wants its insiration to shine in its loving consumption.

I got out my spare bottles, which were intelligently stored in a cupboard full of fine clothing, lucky they were still in one piece.

Daim tasty brew by all accounts.

Daim tasty brew by all accounts.

Indeed it is, no hint of infection, and it needs the extra carbonation to help cut through the big malt, so no argument there. I tried really hard with the second one but could not get anything briny or fishy, and now consider the rest of you are too easily convinced by the power of sugegstion.

GL,
I think you just took a photo of my sample which I have rushed into cold storage. I have never seen the bottle bottom fail like that before.

No cankles here mine's been resting safely in the fridge for some time now, but you did encourage me to check on my warm stash, and Bar Fridge's Belgian Thingy went immediately into the fridge!

Haha, just checked mine and it looks like GL's :eek:
Edit: The bum isn't as badly crazed tho..

Indeed it is, no hint of infection, and it needs the extra carbonation to help cut through the big malt, so no argument there. I tried really hard with the second one but could not get anything briny or fishy, and now consider the rest of you are too easily convinced by the power of sugegstion.

Nobody said fishy, except those who said they couldnt taste fishy. What I remember is that I caught a whiff of mollusc upon opening and it surprised me, I wasnt looking for it or expecting to find it just by opening the bottle. (Though a lot of gas came out of that bottle.) It was not briny or fishy, but oceanlike; it made me think mollusc. In just sniffing the beer, it was much harder to pick in such an aromatic beer, and maybe I was being creative, but I thought I could detect it. I do clearly recall it upon opening the beer.

I described the taste as salty rather than briny, but I can understand why people said briny, after all brine is just salt water. It had a slick feel to it, like it was made from hard water. Displaying my failed year 10 chemistry prowess: isnt that whats likely to happen to beer lautered through shells (arent they mostly calcium carbonate?) Anyway it seemed salty or hard to me. But like I said, a fantastic beer.

So you think Im suggestible do you? Oh yeah, youre right, I guess I am.

Latest posts

Back