Sandgroper 2007 Christmas Case

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cos I am bottling tomorrow and need to know how many.
n=22 so 22 longnecks please, all with labels.

Ummm so that means when I brew tomorrow I need to get at least 17l of cast our wort allowing a little bit for wastage and tasting :eek:

Hi boys and girls,

I have just finished bottling my xmas case beer. It should have been bottled weeks ago but time slips through my fingers like silly putty. I'm hoping it will be conditioned in time for the swap so I can bring a few extras for tasting on the day.

The good:

Since I figure my ideal xmas case should be filled with beers for lazy summer days, I brewed a cream ale with lashings of corn and Tasmanian Saaz. Really looking forward to trying it carbonated, I think it's going to lift the hop aroma fair out of the glass, and since I've never used tassie saaz before it's going to be a new thing for me. I think I overhopped, too. And thanks again to mika for the loan of his brewery.

The bad:

Tasting the beer warmed to ambient from CC pre-bottling, I think I detect a faint infection. There's no visible signs, and I have a half-case of brewer's reserve for quality control purposes so if it becomes an issue I will let everybody know.

I also overprimed slightly, 7.3g/L sucrose instead of 7. Sorry GL! I'll refer to the brewer's reserve as mentioned above to monitor carbonation levels.

The ugly:

I've only used 500mL bottles, I couldn't bear parting with an entire batch without keeping some for myself. As things stood I still had trouble coming up with the bottles since I usually only use 330's. I was literally emptying the last 500 as I was bottling into it. I hope whoever gets the belhaven bottle appreciates that sacrifice.

And yes, I know this isn't the place for idle conversation. I plead the foreigner clause.

Don't worry Kai, you're in good company, my beer's tasting like unrefined Metho at the moment :huh:
This one might need to age for a while....like next Christmas case.

What kind of infection ? Could be interesting to include it in the case even if it's only to serve as a warning to others :D

hrmm, I guess I better get off my arse and brew something. Looking through the supplies it will be a nice kitchen sink effort :)

PS. I don't think it will be quite conditioned in time, somehow.

Im feeling rather embarrassed at the moment as i made a decision not to brew and join in on what would have been my first xmas case swap due to my now rather misguided thought that i would not have enough time to put something together.
Reading some of the posts it looks as if i may have had ample time considering there are still a few late brews going down.

Oh well there will be next year.

Merry Xmas
Big D

Yep, the "fresh wort" category is not a new addition ;)

n be the number of participants. You supply (n-1)+1 = n bottles of beer.

n=22 so 22 longnecks please, all with labels.

Hi GL,

this is my first case swap and dont know what the labels should read?
can you let us know what we should put omn the labels?

thanks amita

i'm pretty chuffed that n=22, i brewed 25 bottles worth so i'm finishing off the remainder at the moment and i've very happy with the way my case came out!

i brewed it quite early in the piece (september) beacuse i was on the move and though it would be my only chance to get it done, it's still the goods and i'd recommend drinking it as soon as u get ur grubby hands on it

Rob.

[

this is my first case swap and dont know what the labels should read?
can you let us know what we should put omn the labels?

thanks amita

Hi Amita

You can put anything you like, just something to distinguish that it is your contribution. Most people have a go at a typical beer label with an image, a name or type for the beer, and a drink before or after date. But we have also had just a small peel off white label with your nick name on it, anything in between is fine.

Next year I say we buy a container load of kegs and just do a keg swap. Either that or I need to get off my bum and attempt to organise a bulk buy of punt bottles.

Cleaning bottles really does suck. I hate glue.

For those worried about labels, i just bought a stick of "glue tack" and it seems to stick paper labels well to bottles and will make removal easier.
Hope my beer turns out, i did two test runs using 50/50 mash/kit brews before attempting a golden ale so hope all goes well.
And the first keg is carbing nowso havent tasted any yet. All tasted good fermenting tho(So fingers crossed).

Rich

Now theres an original idea for next years xmas case swap Kook.
A keg swap.Im not willing to let my 22 litre kegs out and about but an 18 litre swap would be the go.
Would surely be a very interesting day.Bring along your trailer or ute.

Cheers
Big D

GL - I know my scratching wasnt accepted - just checking - I am included in 'N' right?

And fear not I will happily give you an extra bottle so you dont have to do a Correlion on us again.

Shame the Mandurah line is opening the day after this swap.

See you on the 22nd

RM

I dont think i could be arsed brewing 22 kegs of beer for you geezers!

I guess you could run a sweep and draw the brewers name out of a barrel, but wouldnt you be pissed off if you won a wheat!!
It would be one way of trading in my battered and leaking kegs

I guess you could run a sweep and draw the brewers name out of a barrel, but wouldnt you be pissed off if you won a wheat!!
It would be one way of trading in my battered and leaking kegs
That sounds like a great idea,

I like things the way they are, getting something from everybody.

That way I don't feel so bad, because my shite beers get evenly distributed amongst the good ones. It would suck being on the receiving end of my keg.

Back