San Miguel?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Does anyone know why San Miguel is no longer available in Australia? I guess it was some sort of trade agreement when Lion bought Boags off San Mig and I wonder if that will expire and we'll get to see the beer again. I'm not particularly interested in the plain San Mig but they do some interesting beers in the Philippines such as Red Horse 7% Superstrength lager and I wouldn't mind trying some.

Does anyone know why San Miguel is no longer available in Australia? I guess it was some sort of trade agreement when Lion bought Boags off San Mig and I wonder if that will expire and we'll get to see the beer again. I'm not particularly interested in the plain San Mig but they do some interesting beers in the Philippines such as Red Horse 7% Superstrength lager and I wouldn't mind trying some.

I don't think I've ever seen Red Horse in Australia -although I've had more than my fair share of those in the ppines earlier this year though :icon_drunk:

It's generally similar to the SM Pilsner, but with somewhat more pronounced maltiness which balances the extra % reasonably well. The closest beer IMO would be something like Carlsberg Elephant beer. SWMBO is working is in country all this year and she drinks the damn reduced carb version of the pilsner :( A terrible waste. The Philippines isn't exactly a mecca for beers mind you - I don't think I saw any other beer other than SM offerings the entire time, that company owns most of the country after all.

I don't think I've ever seen Red Horse in Australia -although I've had more than my fair share of those in the ppines earlier this year though :icon_drunk:

It's generally similar to the SM Pilsner, but with somewhat more pronounced maltiness which balances the extra % reasonably well. The closest beer IMO would be something like Carlsberg Elephant beer. SWMBO is working is in country all this year and she drinks the damn reduced carb version of the pilsner :( A terrible waste. The Philippines isn't exactly a mecca for beers mind you - I don't think I saw any other beer other than SM offerings the entire time, that company owns most of the country after all.

I've only seen the Pale Pils over here - and haven't seen one of them for a while recently either.

Its getting better over there - the bigger supermarkets in Manila and Cebu at least, usually have a better range than a QLD BWS (not very hard), even had 3 types of Chimay in the Ayala Centre. Pick of the San Mig bunch for mine is Cervesa Negra (or San Miguel Dark) which is a nice Schwarz and the 7/11s stock it (usually) :icon_cheers: .

Back