San Francisco Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am never coming back to this thread again. This is for you, Doc.
haddock.gif
angry.gif

Caught out again. Doh. :(

Looks like a great beer list there. Have fun. :D

Are you actually getting any work done?

Awesome guys :chug:

A little off beer topic but not if you include playing metal to it as Doc did but is it easy/hard to get to cliff burton's memorial and get a photo of yourself with it? :super:
I think its just a little plaque type thing nothing big, I believe his ashes were spread out across the bay.

The bay area is pretty much were it all started as far as metal >>> outside of england and the new wave of british heavy metal of course.

Interesting to see anchor brewery looks like the original brewhouse from half a century ago or more, expected it to be all flash new technology, very cool.
The shallow fermentors are what you read about in nearly everything you read about steam beer being brewed back before refridgeration. do they have refridgeration Doc? :lol:

Anyway awesome thread guys, looks like so much fun.
Jayse

Hey Jayse,

I have no idea where Cliffs grave site is. The rest of my week is pretty full on with work, but if it was close to the city and getting there was easy it might be possible.

The current Anchor brewery site is their 3 or 4th premises. The equip is about 40 years old, and was imported from Germany.
The coolships are in a room we weren't allowed access to. The tour person said that air is pumped into the room from outside (after being filtered for micro-organisms). Beers start in the coolships for 1-3 days depending on the beer, to which it is then blended with an older beer in either another coolship or a conical (again depending on the beer).

Beers,
Doc

Top thread and pics Doc.
Looking like i may have to get myself over to the states one day.So what has been the most stand out beer you have tried so far.?

Im jealous
Big D

Hi again,

The course finished late today, and so my wife picked me up there, saying "we better go and get a beer"

How good is that!

So we caught a bus down to Toronado, and I messaged Doc on the way. Not sure what i did wrong, but the message bounced back - I fully expect to have missed him by minutes (again!) but I think we have sorted a meeting for Friday at 21A.

Toronado was exactly as described. Outside is dodgey looking, inside is OK, and the beer is fantastic! And what a range!

I didn't get a photo of the menu (next time - there were too many people there at happy hour!) but I took one outside and a couple inside.

I only had 4 beers here - we had to go out for dinner after, but I tried:

Hoegaarden Wit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoegaarden_Brewery
Not bad - lacking in character though -my wife didn't mind this, but prefered the Hefe from 21A

Russian River Pliny the Elder
http://www.russianriverbrewing.com/
Really nice IPA - On a par with the 21A version, but I think I'd just give it to the 21A - I'd love to try them side by side for a more objective view.

Russin River Damnation
http://www.russianriverbrewing.com/
I really loved this beer - my pick of the night. I'm on a bit of a belgian kick though, in the week before I cam I got a Chimay red and a Rochford 8. Out of the three, I liked the Rochford the best, but this was still a great beer.

and something else - can't remember what - will take a photo of the menu next time!

The off to a mexican restaurant for dinner, and drank Sierra Nervada Pale Ale (http://www.sierranevada.com/) - really nice mass produced beer - not of the same caliber as Russian river or 21A, but streaks ahead of megaswill Aussie beers!

M

san_fran_beer_2_0001.jpg

san_fran_beer_2_0002.jpg

san_fran_beer_2_0003.jpg

Hey Matt,

Didn't get your SMS. Make sure you put + in front of 61 and all should be good.
Didn't get out of my stuff until after 9:30 tonight :(
After drinking Sam Adams Boston Lager all night networking I needed a real beer, so cracked the Moylans Hopsickle Imperial Ale. Wow, big hop aroma big flavour and awesome taste. This edges out Pliny for me on this trip.

From the bottle

Hopsickle Imperial Ale
In Celebration of the Hop.... This is a "Hop" tribute, worthy of a King's Imperial Court! Enjoy the blast of fresh Tomahawk, Cascade and Centennial Hops as they stimulate the taste buds in a truly Imperial Fashion. Pucker Up!

So I have a short list of favs so far. Gordon Biersch Marzen, Moylans Hopsicle, 21A Bitter American.

Doc

Doc,

Can you take a piccy and show us what the colour and clarity of Pliny the Elder is like. Interested to see how it stacks up against the HB version.

Cheers.

Here is the piccy of PTE.

Beers,
Doc

PlinyTheElder.jpg

Time for another beer update from this side of the world!

On Friday I went to 21A again, hoping to meet with Doc, but unfortunatley he got caught up in meetings. Nevertheless, I spent from 4 till a bit after 8 going through the menu, starting of course with the watermelon wheat.

I would have taken a photo, but it was game night and busy. It was a really nice beer - I couldn't believe it actually had a watermelon taste and aroma in the first sip - this was gone by the end of the glass, so it was subtle. It was a nice, crisp easy drinking wheat - I could see myself happliy drinking a six pack (yes, they sell them in cans) in summer.

I moved through the rest of the beers of the next few hours, and even learnt a little about baseball from a local sitting at the bar with me. The mahgerita pizza was very much needed at around 6 as the first few beers hit.

My pick is still the 21A IPA, and I'm going to say its better than the Pliny. My opinion only - but I like this beer.

Saturday I went up to Yosemite national park, so no beer drinking - but if you get a chance do it - this is one beautiful place. Sheer granite cliffs 1000m in the air - amazing. To keep it beer related, we were driving down the valley past crystal clear ex snow melt streams - for the first time ever I actually though "mmmm. perfect water for beer"

Today was the Alcatraz tour, again not beer related, but an awesome tour. It did work up a thirst though, so we came back to FIshermans wharf to Scomas on pier 47, a fantastic italian seafood restaurant. If you like seafood, go here, but its not cheap! They had a heap of beers on tap so I tried a a couple.

Widmer Hefeweizen, which I think I have mentioned before - great beer, easily drank a couple.

Then onto a new beer - the Prohibition Ale from speakeasy brewing. http://www.goodbeer.com/
This was a brilliant hoppy beer, I really enjoyed it and will be looking for more from this brewery.

I can't get over the quality and range of beers here - end of week one, three to go, and I am sure I won't get to try them all!

M

OK - its official - 21A is my "local" whilst I am here. Somehow I have managed to go three times in the last four days. I must say, its my wifes fault - she loves the desserts. The bar guys and girls know me now, and instead of asking "another?" they now ask "which next?"!

Between all the times, I have now tried ALL the beers there, including a couple of "guest" beers that have changed since earlier in the stay. These were:

Two Rivers Pomegranate cider
http://cider.iamjp.com/
This was a very sweet very girly drink. Gone in about 30 seconds - like lemonade. Not real impressed.

North Coast Brewing Old Rasputin Imperial Stout
http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/
This was great - nice fine bubble cascade; great head that lasted the whole glass - hops were well balanced against the alcohol cotent (75IBU's, 9.1%). Yum! It was served in what I would consider a belgian glass, but it suited it.

My wife flies back to Australia today, so I tried to buy a canned 6 pack of each of the 21A IPA and watermelon wheat - however they did warn me that the cans can't fly and not to bother :(

We also found a local mexican restaurant that has Bear Republic beers on tap. It happens to be opposite the laundromatte, so while I do the washing I can drink beers!

The racer 5 IPA is a great beer - I think I mentioned it earlier in the stay.
http://www.bearrepublic.com/ourbeers.php

I also had the El Oso (well, its a mexican restaurant) which got served with a lime on the side. Not bad - but way way way too light after the hoppy goodness of the Racer 5. Will try it first next laundry trip.

Took a photo outside the 21A for the Aussie viewing pleasure...

Till next time,

M

san_fran_beer_4_0001.jpg

Mobrien
I am pretty sure that the Alesmith Horny Devil and Speedway Stout are out at the moment, so if ya see them 2 somewhere in a bottle shop, it would probably be worth your while to try them. At $10 a bottle, though, easily on the more expensive side of the coin. When balking, though, imagine what a similar beer would cost in Oz before you decide to not buy one.
Sounds like you are having a blast, very jealous.
Trent

Hey Matt,

I had the same reaction to the cider. Tastes very sweet and girly, and I'm sure it could make for a hellish next morning :p

I too enjoyed the Racer 5 whilst there.
Here is a piccy of me outside Bear Republic (the brewery for Racer 5). They have a great selection of beers, but Racer 5 was my fav.

san_francisco_and_closet_068.jpg

And the convertible Mustang we had.

san_francisco_and_closet_062.jpg

Beers,
Doc

Time for another update.

Havent been back to 21A (I know, whats wrong with me? But I did say it was my wife that was making me do it!) but have tried a few other local bars. Did Friday drinks with the folks from work, and basically pub hopped until we found pizza. Wont mention all the places, but will mention the new beers.

Two brothers IPA - http://www.twobrosbrew.com/
Not a local beer, but a US beer. This was good (I did have a couple) but in my opinion, not great like the 21A, Pliny or Racer 5. Something seemed not quite right about the hop balance will have to try again, as this was a few beers in

Bass Ale An English pale - http://www.bass.com/
A very not local beer I really disliked this. I went onto a Hefe from here, and the hefe was great so I dont know if this is normally not nice, but Im not racing back.

House Pilsner Liverpool Lils- http://www.liverpoollils.com/Welcome.htm
They didnt know who made it, but this was a nice Pils I still think the Trumer Pils is better, but this is almost on a par great stuff, again a clear beer with slight honey overtones not as much as the trumer. Good stuff.
This pub was great they had deep fried cheese sticks (mortzarella) with BBQ sauce for free during happy hour yum! Just dial 91 before you start then there is only one number to press when you have your heart attack!

I also went back to the Mexican place for dinner last night, and tried the Bear Republic beers, this time in the right order! Ive already raved about the Racer 5, but I wasnt that fussed on the El Oso.

Bear Republic - El Oso - http://www.bearrepublic.com/ourbeers.php
Second try, this time first up not after the hoppy goodness of the Racer 5! As a clean start beer, this is awesome. Funnily enough it went really really well with Mexican food, and somehow I drank four over dinner. Light (flavour) and easy drinking, but not lacking character this is a nice session beer.

Still having fun off to find a decent bottle shop today.

M

Hey Doc,

I'd planned to head over to City Beer, got on the bus and things got crazy. Fan fest for the all star game is on just down the road from there, so I ditched the trip and went and washed my clothes instead. Went into a little corner store, and bonanza! All of these for $15.48 US.

I'm about to chill them down, turn on TBN and drink em'!

M

san_fran_beer_5_0001.jpg

Nice, very nice.
The Widmer Hefe is pretty good. Once of the cloudy-ist Hefe's I've ever had.

I never made it, but BevMo (Beverages and More) always gets a good wrap.

SF-Geary
3445 Geary Blvd.
San Francisco, CA94118US
Phone:(415) 933-8494
Fax: (415) 933-8499

SF-Van Ness
1301 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA94109US
Phone:(415) 447-8483
Fax: (415) 4478935

Beers,
Doc