Salami 101

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The salamis seem to be going ok one week in, the smell is very tangy although the colour is not as bright as I expected but this is the first all beef salami Ive done, so I hope they will be ok.
Beef_Salami_001.jpg

Hey Gregs you and Andrew are realy taking this to a fantastic and whole new level!!!! I will at some stage follow in your footsteps however if I bring another fridge home I think my wife will kill me!

I was just wondering what the recipe for your all beef was especially the use of insta cures?? and starter cultures etc

cheers

Well its that time of year again. Made the mixture today, will be stuffing tomorrow.

On the list this year is:

Plain: Pork, salt and capsicum
Mild: Above with pepper and garlic
Hot: Above two with chilli
Extra hot: Above three with chilli
Fennel: As it says
Lap Chong: Rice wine, soy, five spice and white pepper.

IMG_0820small.jpg
IMG_0821small.jpg

i miss that shed!

troy and co are already at it too. with the new squid (kid) ive been pushed for time so instaed of salami i got in on the curing meat side, so far theres beer pork neck (capacollo), pork loin and some lamb just for something different. mostly rolled in salt for 2-4 days, then rolled in pepper mixture, wrapped in muslin cloth then into a net and hung up for approx 1 month depending on size/cut.

think we will try goat and roo soon.

save me some of that salami peels for tradeoffs.

269745_10150288674676834_669306833_9015085_7986985_n.jpg

I stuffed up and missed out making salami last year and I cant believe the time is here again! Unfortunately I am on the road until July 13 - the first thing I will be doing when I get home is ordering lots of pork!

Nice work Peels

2 weeks in since stuffing day. Weather in Dimo has been great for salami. Cold, wet and humid.

Had a fry up and tasting on stuffing day as you do and the only change I will make next year is the addition of schezuan pepper to the lap cong.
IMG_0843.jpg

2 weeks in since stuffing day. Weather in Dimo has been great for salami. Cold, wet and humid.

Had a fry up and tasting on stuffing day as you do and the only change I will make next year is the addition of schezuan pepper to the lap cong.
View attachment 46966

what casings and size are they??

They are 45mm dried collagen. I get them from the Italian Bunnings on Bell street Preston.

minced and mixed 15 kilos today - fermenting in the fridge tonight and will stuff and hang tomorrow.

looking forward to it!

As it is to worm up here to do salami, how would I go cold smoking them....

Hit a bit of a snag with my salamis and need a bit of advice. Mixed the meat up on Sunday and put it covered in the fridge the garage fridge which doesnt get openned very much during the day. I was going to fill and hang the salami today how ever I got waylaid with various things not to mention a couple of trips to Bunnings to get/exchange/swap dyna bolts etc so that I could secure my salami hanging rack to the garage wall. After an hour and a half of measuring, drilling, exchagning and swearing said rack is now hanging on the wall. The salamis will have to wait until tomorrow to be filled and hang is this a problem??? I suspect not as they are happilyfermenting in the mixing bowl but........thought I would ask.

I cant see why some extra time would hurt, bit like bread...

Good to see you used the ancient art of swearing to construct the salami hanger. That makes you a qualified tradey now :lol:

Not gonna do anything in the bowl that they wouldn't do in the casings anyway. I wouldn't leave them too long though, i assume the fermentation will go more quickly at higher (non fridge) temps and the drop in pH is a big part of making them stable.

i have casings arriving in the post in the next few days... A smalll batch of some sort of salami is definitely in order.

They are 45mm dried collagen. I get them from the Italian Bunnings on Bell street Preston.

Peels - given that there doesn't seem to be an actual bunnings on bell street preston - can I assume that that's a euphamism and can i trouble you for the real name of the place? Is it Costante Imports ?

Peels - given that there doesn't seem to be an actual bunnings on bell street preston - can I assume that that's a euphamism and can i trouble you for the real name of the place? Is it Costante Imports ?

yes it is, thats the one TB, it where we go as well. they sell everything italian, really good place. get a book called preserving the italian way whilst your there! duck procisutto mmmmmmmm~!

Finally packed them and hung them. Ive tried a bigun this time also but only the one as it is late in the season and I am concerned about how well it will dry. Thats a kilo of meat in there!

resize_Salami_005.jpg

yes it is, thats the one TB, it where we go as well. they sell everything italian, really good place. get a book called preserving the italian way whilst your there! duck procisutto mmmmmmmm~!

Thanks Fents, might head out for a squizz tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back