Salami 101

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can you guys post pics or show me a link or just tell me how i can build such a thing?

can you guys post pics or show me a link or just tell me how i can build such a thing?

Hi Fents,
The humidity/temperature controller is from here and the Ultrasonic humidifier is from ebay. The controller is pretty straight forward to wire up if you have done a fridge or mash controller before.

humidity_controller_011.JPG humidity_controller_010.JPG
The controller box has a socket on the front for the ultrasonic humidifier and a socket on the back for the fridge.

Cheers
Andrew

Peperone in the drying chamber, temp set to 14 and humidity set to 75%.

001.JPG

Shit they look great Andrew, well done. :icon_drool2:

Making salami in a controlled environment when the outside ambient temp in Bundaberg is 28 degrees and humidity to variable to mention sure says something about electronic controllers. :super:

Shit they look great Andrew, well done. :icon_drool2:

Making salami in a controlled environment when the outside ambient temp in Bundaberg is 28 degrees and humidity to variable to mention sure says something about electronic controllers. :super:

Just checked the PH Greg, looks like it's fluctuating from 5.3-5.5, I've kept a sample aside as you suggested and will check again in a day or two.

Andrew

Andrew this is just a small part of a salami tutorial I found and up loaded a few pages back, it seems that beef has a lower starting ph than pork, hope this helps. This is from two parts of a 70 odd page paper.

Foods with a low pH value (high acidity) develop resistance

against microbiological spoilage. Pickles, sauerkraut, eggs, pig feet,

anything submerged in vinegar will have a long shelf life. Even ordinary

meat jelly (headcheese) will last longer if some vinegar is added and

this type of headcheese is known as "souse". Bacteria hate acidic

foods and this fact plays an important role in the production and

stabilization of fermented sausages. Ideally the pH value of meat to be

used for making fermented products should be below 5.8.

Pork 5.9 - 6.0

Back fat 6.2 - 7.0

Emulsified pork skins 7.3 - 7.8

Beef 5.8

Combining different meats will have an effect on the final pH value of

the sausage mass.

When using acidification as a main safety hurdle, salami is microbiologically stable​
when​
pH is 5.2 or lower and this normally requires about 48 hrs fermentation time

for fast-fermented product and​
72 - 96 hours for medium-fermented type. In slowfermented

salami pH does not drop lower than 5.5 but the sausage is​
microbiologically stable due to its low moisture level (prolonged drying).

Thanks Greg, I've downloaded the file and reading it.
Tested again today and it is rock solid on 5.2 ph so it's looking good and the weight has dropped 7.5%.
Here's a pic of the datalogger info for the last 24 hours, interesting to note the variations in daytime and night readings.

logger1.jpg

That data logger is the go Andrew, Ill have to grab one for myself, is that temp getting above 16? I would prefer 14.5 degrees max but cant see any harm. Its just that some pathogens may start to grow at just above 15 degrees (although your 16 is not the average during cycling) and this is just one step in the hurdle. But considering you have followed other food safety standards in your process, they will be good.

Buy the way when I lower my fridge temp the humidity is also lowered on average as you probably already know.

Interesting graph on the logger temp, I wonder if the small spike in temp is compressor delay in conjunction with just that cycling on period or is that you having a peek at the produce? :D

G
reat work I cant wait for a taste.

Well I couldn't resist, I wanted to test the pH of these today and so I cut one open (4.6 pH) and of course I had to have a sample, they seem to be drying well and they have lost a total of 33% moisture over the last 10 days but I think they will need a couple more days to firm up. Sadly they are not as peppery as I would have liked and are very mild in flavour too, but nice nonetheless just not Peperone as I know it.

peperone_001__800x600_.JPG peperone_002__800x600_.JPG

Well I couldn't resist, I wanted to test the pH of these today and so I cut one open (4.6 pH) and of course I had to have a sample, they seem to be drying well and they have lost a total of 33% moisture over the last 10 days but I think they will need a couple more days to firm up. Sadly they are not as peppery as I would have liked and are very mild in flavour too, but nice nonetheless just not Peperone as I know it.

View attachment 41849 View attachment 41850

Wow, ten day salami Andrew and an incredible 4.6 PH seems the only thing to improve on is the flavour youre chasing. Well done, Ill be around for a taste if there is any left. :icon_cheers:

Wow, ten day salami Andrew and an incredible 4.6 PH seems the only thing to improve on is the flavour you're chasing. Well done, I'll be around for a taste if there is any left. :icon_cheers:

There's a couple here with your name on them Greg, I could use your opinion on the flavour issue as well, it could be just my penchant for spicy food but these seem a little restrained.

Andrew

Ive been doing a few myself Andrew, have the peperonis finished already?

Here are some all beef salamis I knocked out today. :icon_drool2:

Beef_Salami.jpg

Hi Fents,
The humidity/temperature controller is from here and the Ultrasonic humidifier is from ebay. The controller is pretty straight forward to wire up if you have done a fridge or mash controller before.

I bought one of these Rittal hygrostats the other day (for $20 off ebay). It's for controlling the humidity in server rooms. Will this do the job?

I can't see why not, so long as your confident wiring it up, have you got a humidifier?

I have a mate who used to be a linesman and checks all my wiring before I plug it in.

I have a small dehumdifier, and i was going to buy a pond fogger from Bunnings, but those ultrasonic humidifers on ebay look as good, or possibly something like this. I guess they all work the same, as long as I don't get a heated humidifier.

I have a mate who used to be a linesman and checks all my wiring before I plug it in.

I have a small dehumdifier, and i was going to buy a pond fogger from Bunnings, but those ultrasonic humidifers on ebay look as good, or possibly something like this. I guess they all work the same, as long as I don't get a heated humidifier.

That's just about the same as the one I use, they work really well.

I've been doing a few myself Andrew, have the peperoni's finished already?

Here are some all beef salamis I knocked out today. :icon_drool2:

View attachment 41902

Looks great Greg, got an update yet?
I noticed with the peperoni being all beef that it has a much meatier flavour than the shop bought ones if that makes any sense.

Back