Salami 101

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh, thanks guys. Liquid added to both was just wine, although this wasn't measured so could have been different for the chilli than for the pepper. They have been hanging around 3 weeks, so I'd say that they are not going to dry any further, given that the skins are dry.

Just so you know, the question about being safe to eat wasn't meant as eating them in their current state. I'd cook them and use them that way. Possibly in pasta sauce or soups or something like that. Actually, before thinking of the possible risks and posing the question, I cooked one up and added a tin of tomatoes and it tasted great! However if the general consensus is that they aren't safe, I'll bin them.

Better safe than sorry :(

Peels, Kirem, AndrewQld???? wot say youse?

It would be interesting to note the PH of the two batches as PH has a great influence on drying. The recipe can have an influence on PH as dose the bacteria (Bactolactilious) and the total fermentation time and temperature.

PH should not be second guessed, it is an important proses in the drying of salami.

Yep, I'm fairly new to this, and so far have followed my neighbours advice, which seems to have been handed on through traditional italian relatives, without much explanation of the whys and wherefores! Anyway, I've sent an email to Vince (the guy who ran the course), but at this stage I'm thinking that they are headed for the bin.

Not too worried - I did a quick head count and there were only about 10 large salamis, so not enough to be too concerned.

BTW - Merc, I checked a pepper sausage and it didn't have air pockets. It's just the residual liquid that hasn't dried making it squishy.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Mine have stopped drying out I think... They seem to be going nowhere fast after 4 weeks or so now. They are I think "just" dry enough. They sort of shifted inside the skins, with the bottom half ending up thicker than the top - so the top halves have dried perfectly, and the bottoms are less perfect. They aren't squishy and look cured all the way through, but the top half is better and you can actually taste the difference between the really well dried bits and the less dried bits... With the well dried bits tasting saltier and better.

I've eaten two of them so far in the interests of research... My verdict is "not bad for a first try" they are a little fatty, and I think that's because I didn't have the fat cold enough when I minced it and a decent proportion emulsified rather than cutting... The cut bits have gone nice and white and glossy... But there is a lot of oil floating around too that I think is from the emulsified fat. Less fat next time, and better technique on the minced. Also not quite salty enough and too much garlic. Still, they are good with cheese and crackers so what more could you ask for.

They look upsettingly like large poos though... Visually very unappealing. I will tie and hang them differently next time.

Thanks for this thread... I see many salami in my future.

TB

Mine have stopped drying out I think... They seem to be going nowhere fast after 4 weeks or so now. They are I think "just" dry enough. They sort of shifted inside the skins, with the bottom half ending up thicker than the top - so the top halves have dried perfectly, and the bottoms are less perfect. They aren't squishy and look cured all the way through, but the top half is better and you can actually taste the difference between the really well dried bits and the less dried bits... With the well dried bits tasting saltier and better.

I've eaten two of them so far in the interests of research... My verdict is "not bad for a first try" they are a little fatty, and I think that's because I didn't have the fat cold enough when I minced it and a decent proportion emulsified rather than cutting... The cut bits have gone nice and white and glossy... But there is a lot of oil floating around too that I think is from the emulsified fat. Less fat next time, and better technique on the minced. Also not quite salty enough and too much garlic. Still, they are good with cheese and crackers so what more could you ask for.

They look upsettingly like large poos though... Visually very unappealing. I will tie and hang them differently next time.

Thanks for this thread... I see many salami in my future.

TB

TB I would like to see a photo of them hanging to understand what happened to them. If you packed them tight enough when stuffing them there wouldnt really be any where for the meat inside the skins to run or slide down to the bottom half of the hanging skin? Needless to say what you want is for your salami to dry evenly throughout the whole sausage.

Also when you initially mix all of your meat with all of the spices pastes and liquids etc you leave it for a couple of days before stuffing during which time it firms up and becomes quite sticky making it very unlikely to run down inside the casing??

Also when you initially mix all of your meat with all of the spices pastes and liquids etc you leave it for a couple of days before stuffing during which time it firms up and becomes quite sticky making it very unlikely to run down inside the casing??

Hey, that's something I was told not to do by Vince! Having said that, talking to friends who make salami, they mix in the evening, leave it overnight, and stuff in the morning, and they make a fantastic sausage, so I'm a believer. What's the science behind leaving it for a bit? And before stuffing, do you re-mix it?

Peels, Kirem, AndrewQld???? wot say youse?

Sorry Mercs, I've been away with the fairies these last couple of weeks and missed this.
However gregs is the guru of Charcuterie as far as the Bundy Brewers are concerned and his advice below I think is spot on.

It would be interesting to note the PH of the two batches as PH has a great influence on drying. The recipe can have an influence on PH as dose the bacteria (Bactolactilious) and the total fermentation time and temperature.

PH should not be second guessed, it is an important proses in the drying of salami.

Cheers
Andrew

How do you measure the pH of a meat paste? PH strips obviously, but we all know their limitations and I have read one or two info sources that suggest strongly using a pH meter instead... But for the life of me I can't work out how to use my brewing pH meter on a meat paste.

Tips, hints??

Merc... I think perhaps I didn't stuff the cases firmly enough. I was planning on mincing straight into the cases... So i cut the meat up into a fairly small dice, added spices etc and mixed it all up, then let it sit overnight. Minced next day. Once again attempting to mince straight into the casings was a total disaster.... So I minced and stuffed separately.

How do you measure the pH of a meat paste? PH strips obviously, but we all know their limitations and I have read one or two info sources that suggest strongly using a pH meter instead... But for the life of me I can't work out how to use my brewing pH meter on a meat paste.

Tips, hints??

Merc... I think perhaps I didn't stuff the cases firmly enough. I was planning on mincing straight into the cases... So i cut the meat up into a fairly small dice, added spices etc and mixed it all up, then let it sit overnight. Minced next day. Once again attempting to mince straight into the casings was a total disaster.... So I minced and stuffed separately.

I mince once then add in all the spices, salt, paprika paste etc then mix by hand to make sure it is well mixed through then mince again and leave it for a day or two before stuffing. Leaving it for a day before stuffing lets it have its ferment and makes it set or become a little thicker so you can stuff it firmer.

All that said I am no expert at all in fact I completely stuffed my salami this year!!! I bought 10 kilos of pork that my butcher also did the first mince for me. I was supposed to pick it up on Sat but couldnt - I went to brunswick to get my Paprika paste. Didnt get there till monday. Pork went straight into my fridge no probs. I got busy, real busy - I am writing a beer cookbook so I have been cooking and experimenting like mad!! Friday came and I thought oh %&@^ I gotta do the pork so I mixed up all the spices got the pork out of the fridge and openned it up and yep it smelled like something had crawled in there and died. So 10 kilos went in the bin and the spice mix is sitting in the cupboard for when I make some Pork and Fennel Sausages. Way to burn $150.00!

Live and learn.

We can make salamis or cured meats and be successful without knowing what is actually happening within the product. We can argue about the uses of nitrites and nitrates Vs salt only, but theres much more happening in the meat than can be explained in a short answer, like PH etc.

Like all things in life, the greater the understanding we have of what you are trying to make the more successful we will be. So for those who are interested, and like to read up on a topic Ive attached a paper, one of many Ive read over the past couple of years, so enjoy.
View attachment Salami_advice.zip

Thanks for that Gregs,

I'vegot some books and read a bunch of stuff too.. But that paper seems to be the most readable of them, whilst still covering the topic reasonable comprehensively. Thanks very much.

Also explains the technique for measuring a meat paste's pH... Which had me stumped.

Cheers mate

TB

Cut this coppa yesterday, its the first whole mussel Ive cured, Im happy with the results although I need to work on the flavour as its quite mild. :)
Coppa_24_Aug_10_005.JPG

yea our should be right soon too.

did you roll it in pepper?

yea our should be right soon too.

did you roll it in pepper?

Yeah Fents rolled it in pepper and fennel seed but I feel I didnt get the ferment happening as it should. I now have the correct cultures sitting in the freezer to inoculate the next batch.

Cheers.gregs.

A batch of Soppressa about to go into the curing chamber.
It's great to be able to make salami all year round.
Sopressa_004.jpg

A batch of Soppressa about to go into the curing chamber.
It's great to be able to make salami all year round.
View attachment 40927

Had a taste of this on the weekend, absolutely fantastic, has that beautiful tang you can only get from a fermented product.
Great work Greg.
By the way, humidity/temp controller arrived today so will have the fridge setup soon.

Cheers
Andrew

Had a taste of this on the weekend, absolutely fantastic, has that beautiful tang you can only get from a fermented product.
Great work Greg.
By the way, humidity/temp controller arrived today so will have the fridge setup soon.

Cheers
Andrew

Good work on your curing chamber Andrew, :icon_chickcheers:
I was wondering when you would pull your finger out, as you know we have some very happy pigs fattening. :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Good work on your curing chamber Andrew, :icon_chickcheers:
I was wondering when you would pull your finger out, as you know we have some very happy pigs fattening. :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Ran the system today Greg and used this temperature/humidity data logger to see what the results were, nothing in the chamber so there will be variations when it's full of salami but this will give you a rough idea. You can see when the fridge compressor kicks in and the humidity starts to fall, but it doesn't take long for it to raise back up.

logger1.jpg

Andrew

Back