Salami 101

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Sausage making Saturday went well. 60kg of pork, done and dusted. 20kg pepper salami, 20kg chilli salami, 6kg bratwurst and 6kg portugeuese linguica. 8kg of fat reserved for another day. Picked up the meat at 9am and all done and dusted by 5pm. I'm hanging 5 in my shed (which is sitting at around 12-14C) but the rest I froze fresh. A few piccies from the day...

IMG_4589_1.JPG
IMG_4592_1.JPG
IMG_4599_1.JPG
IMG_4606_1.JPG

Holy crap :eek:

Thats serious salami making! WOW

Cheers
Steve

Yeh, we ended up with 36 chilli, 35 pepper, 10 linguica and 12 bratwurst. We were pretty happy with the outcome. No huge mistakes on the day, but the old kenwood is probably a bit small to handle that amount again next year.

I'm hanging 5 in my shed (which is sitting at around 12-14C) but the rest I froze fresh.

Your shed stay nice and cool, it already hit 19c today outside, but the forecast has it cool and wet for the next week. So the ones that your froze, will then be hung at some stage??

Our last salami's died. was too hot in troys shed. got up to 19c one day and that was it. The outer layer of meat dried way too quick whilst the inside layer is still wet and now has no way to dry.

Salami FA1L!

Your shed stay nice and cool, it already hit 19c today outside, but the forecast has it cool and wet for the next week. So the ones that your froze, will then be hung at some stage??

My shed stays pretty cool, but yesterday and today had me a bit worried. The shed is shaded and even though there's no insulation, the overnight temps and concrete floor help everything stay pretty cool. Here's hoping I don't lose them (although there's only 5 to lose I guess). The frozen ones I'm not going to hang. This year I'll cut my losses and resolve to start earlier next year. The frozen ones are sooo good roasted in the oven for an hour, boiled, or even just cut open and added to passata for a quick pasta sauce. And my neighbour just picked up 90 dried salamis from his family down south, so there's no shortage of salami down our way.

Fents - good to know. I might mist mine with a little red wine to make sure that the outsides don't dry too quick.

Our last salami's died. was too hot in troys shed. got up to 19c one day and that was it. The outer layer of meat dried way too quick whilst the inside layer is still wet and now has no way to dry.

Salami FA1L!

I think they can be possibly be rescued by wetting the outside with wine to help moisten it again.

Good luck.

Q

Fents sorry to hear about the death of your salami's. Every year I watch mine closely - at least a couple of times a day - to check how they are going. I know how you must feel on losing them!

Kaiser Soze - man what a mamoth day that must have been! I was wondering what you were using to stuff them and was hoping it was something more of a commercial machine but the Kenwood? It must be a little tired after that! Good luck with the five hanging!

I have sprayed my salamis to keep the outside moist if I thought they were drying too quickly but I imagine if they get to that stage where they are pretty much dry on the outside and still wet on the inside I dont know if you can save them by that time?? As Fents says they have no way to dry as the moisture cant get out - rehydrating the outsides my cause more problems as you would need to almost soak them?? Anyone done that?

tough break Fents. maybe you should have hhung them in your music room. then you would have had smoked salami!

in all seriousness why sdont you try wetting a few of them and see what happens. you've got nothing to loose.

i would but old mate threw them out. we did taste a couple and they just wernt cutting the mustard.

im just pissed off cause every batch troys made has come out sooooo good but the ONE time i try and help it turns to shit. Bad omen stuff going on i reckon.

Hey Soze, looking like a top effort, that's a lot of mulched animal you have there ! If you're not hanging them to cure, then are they still considered salami (do they taste like salami when you cook them?)

Being a brand-newbie to the sausage making art, but without anywhere to hang, i'm considering of making a few salami styled snags and smoking them in a webber as a curing method. Would this even work? I'm a mad salami fan, so it would be nice to be able to have a home-made substitute.

Kaiser Soze - man what a mamoth day that must have been! I was wondering what you were using to stuff them and was hoping it was something more of a commercial machine but the Kenwood? It must be a little tired after that! Good luck with the five hanging!

Actually, the mincing it handled with ease. Took about 30 mins to coarse grind the 50kg of pork, which really surprised us. Stuffing them took around 4 hours though, so we'd look at either getting something a bit more industrial for the day, or having a second stuffer there.

Hey Soze, looking like a top effort, that's a lot of mulched animal you have there ! If you're not hanging them to cure, then are they still considered salami (do they taste like salami when you cook them?)

No, probably not salami if they're not cured. And they don't really taste like salami, but not like a regular sausage either. Because of the coarse grind, they are more chunky than a normal snag. Let me know if you end up smoking them - I'd be keen to do the same to mine next year if that's an option. One of the guys who attended on the day had been told by an old italian guy that he cured them in wood ash, so he was going to give that a shot also. I hadn't heard of it, but I guess it's worth a shot?

Actually, the mincing it handled with ease. Took about 30 mins to coarse grind the 50kg of pork, which really surprised us. Stuffing them took around 4 hours though, so we'd look at either getting something a bit more industrial for the day, or having a second stuffer there.

No, probably not salami if they're not cured. And they don't really taste like salami, but not like a regular sausage either. Because of the coarse grind, they are more chunky than a normal snag. Let me know if you end up smoking them - I'd be keen to do the same to mine next year if that's an option. One of the guys who attended on the day had been told by an old italian guy that he cured them in wood ash, so he was going to give that a shot also. I hadn't heard of it, but I guess it's worth a shot?

We have smoked them that way, defiantly not salami but different. Has anybody had that sausage in Bali it kind of tasted like that. I wouldnt want 40 of them. Also not sure how long they would keep that way.

im just pissed off cause every batch troys made has come out sooooo good but the ONE time i try and help it turns to shit. Bad omen stuff going on i reckon.

I think it's just too late in the season to be able to age them in shed, without some temp control. I'm sure one day you'll make great salami fents. :)

I'm trying to sort out a curing chamber at the moment, just dealing with some humidity issues at the moment.

Hope you're well, almost time we brewed that kolsch dude, the pressure should be off some september sometime.

My final talk is next week friday, can't wait for that to be over.

Cheers
Q

chin up fentsy well bang out some BBQ snags shortly mate thatl sort ya out :icon_cheers:

Guess I have a use for all the room under my house now. :lol:

But will wait till next year. Have been monitoring the temperature and it hangs around 12c from May and hasn't really budged. Saving for my mincer now.

I don't think I could see myself doing 50kg of pork. :blink:

Currently eating a chopping board full of sliced home made salami from kirem...........wow! Got to give this a go. Absolutely delicious. Thanks very much kirem
Cheers
Steve

looks like the salami swaps a goer so far we have 4 of us i recon 5 would be a good limit

1. hairofthedog
2. peels
3. mercs own
4. kirem

anyone got an idea as to where & when we should meet someones house or a pub ?

just consuming a salami & esb atm perfect combo :icon_drool2:

I have been away - at the BrewNZ beer awards - but that is another story - time for a salami swap. I will send each of you guys one salami which just so you know weighs about 110g per stick. They are cyrvaced and I would suggest sending them express post so that they dont sit around in hot temps etc Rather they arrive in good \shape as apposed to questionable shape. Pm me with your address and I will do it thias week. When you pm me I will send you my address so you can send your slami. Note I am moving in 3 weeks so lets do it before then!

How did Steve get on the list?? :lol: I will be sending you one too mate!

I have been away - at the BrewNZ beer awards - but that is another story - time for a salami swap. I will send each of you guys one salami which just so you know weighs about 110g per stick. They are cyrvaced and I would suggest sending them express post so that they dont sit around in hot temps etc Rather they arrive in good \shape as apposed to questionable shape. Pm me with your address and I will do it thias week. When you pm me I will send you my address so you can send your slami. Note I am moving in 3 weeks so lets do it before then!

How did Steve get on the list?? :lol: I will be sending you one too mate!

I sent Steve a salami outside of this swap.

View attachment 30263

Back