Saison Pitch Rates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seamad

beer dog
Reaction score
Have never used the belgian strain before, and have a cube ready to go. Having read that it is very slow to finish I thought I would start with the 3724 to get some of its flavour characters, then add 3711 to finish up, having used 3711 a bit I know it won't have a problem eating everything left behind. As far as pitching rates go should I half pitch each yeast, full pitch with the 3724 then add a bit of top cropped 3711 from a raspberry saison that's ready to go too?
I know I could wait for the 3724 but it doesn't get hot enough up the mountain and it will be in the fermenter fridge with the heat belt, excluding other beers to be made for the xmas swillage.

cheers

sean

I would do a full pitch of 3724 to get a good ferment profile using temp and as high O2 saturation as possible, and then an active pitch of 3711 (again, I'd go relatively large).

Recently pitched a WLP565 into 16L wort @24c. Allowed temp to rise naturally. ie to 28c max. OG 1052, FG 1004 sixteen days later. Drinkers enjoy it.

Cheers

I have been thinking about this as well, I want to do the exact same thing for my next Saison.

I am thinking of pitching my usual amount of starter slurry(always somewhere around what MR malty says) to start off at as close to 30 as i can get it...? might have to set the no chill jerry in the ferment fridge on it way down to 30 and try and maintain it with my heat pad. Good aeration.

Not sure how long to wait to finish it off with 3711? Maybe just let it go hard for a few days, until it does its stall thing then pitch a decent active starter of 3711.

Thanks for the replies fellas, I'll do a full pitch with the 3724 and see where it ends up, if too high/slow will top crop a cup from the 3711 to bring it down to 1004 or lower.

Latest posts

Back