Saison DuPont

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The yeast I buy can digest maltose. I can send you some if you'd like and then you will drink beer and not fizzy wort, like I do.

Nick JD said:
The yeast I buy can digest maltose. I can send you some if you'd like and then you will drink beer and not fizzy wort, like I do.
No thanks, I don't wish to drink fizzy wort like you do. :unsure:

hoppy2B said:
Maltase, which yeast produce, gets its name from where it was discovered. And the naming of said enzyme has bugger all to do with the erroneous belief that beer yeast possess some mystical ability to digest maltose, purportedly lacking in other yeast such as those used to ferment wine.
Who said anything about wine yeast being unable to metabolise maltose?

manticle said:
Who said anything about wine yeast being unable to metabolise maltose?
That's been the inference on numerous occasion. A lot of brewers on here seem to hold that belief.
Its funny because when I have mentioned to the people at brewcraft as well as winequip that I intended to use wine yeast to ferment my beer, they have both been of the opinion that it would over attenuate. They might have attenuation confused with alco tolerance.

I don't remember ever seeing anyone write that. Do you have any links to these numerous ocassions?

I'd never be surprised at anything a brewcraft person might suggest and I'd seldom listen.

No because I can't be bothered looking them up and I have to go a bottling now, hiho hiho... :ph34r:

Suggesting that a brewcraft salesman could be confused is erroneous.. Suggesting that they know shit from clay is also erroneous..

How about those links when you have finished? Genuinely curious as to which brewers on here hold with this thought.

The issue is with maltoTRIOSE, not maltose. They're different.

Yeah well I'm not really interested in the hearsay that the old wives brew club insists in perpetuating. I just hope most individuals reading it have the common sense to realize what you're saying is just nonsense.

hoppy2B said:
Yeah well I'm not really interested in the hearsay that the old wives brew club insists in perpetuating. I just hope most individuals reading it have the common sense to realize what you're saying is just nonsense.
So google it.

"saccharomyces cerevisiae maltose metabolism"

131,000 results, but don't worry because the first result is an academic review giving you all the information and references you need to confirm.

He's trolling right? He has to be trolling.

Back