Saison DuPont

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sav

Brewing at the battered's shed
Reaction score
Ok saison DuPont or close any won close, is it straight diggs pils or a bit of crystal for colour .
I am not boiling for 2 hours so forget it.
EKG and styrings at 30 ibu come on feed back.
Sav
Winkle pipe in.
Cheers sav

Continuous step mash from 45 to 72 over 110 minutes.
Wyeast belgian saison strain fermented hot
100% pilsner (Dingemans or another available belgian type makes sense)
Hops at 60 and 0

Info from farmhouse ales about dupont ingredients and practice.

My own saisons I believe are quite nice but I won't pretend I'm brewing dupont clones. Mainly belgian pils, some wheat and either spalt & hallertauer or hallertaur and styrians. 60, 20 and 0 to around 35 IBU, usually 3711 or PC farmhouse, fermented at ambient in summer, FG around 1005.

Step mash 55/62/68/72/78
Time: 5/15/45/10/10

90 min minimum boil.

I read somewhere Dupont used a wine yeast for their Saison.

Some thread here, most likely.

The DuPont strain is thought to have originated from a red wine yeast strain.

The attenuation says a lot about it's origin. That ain't no beer yeast. It'd eat your hand if you held it in there long enough.

Doesn't even wake up until you get out the blowtorch.

I think I read it in a newspaper article online. Might have been the article where they named it the best beer in the world. Said its fermented warm and aged warm as well.

Yob said:
Probably use frozen wet hops too
Well I guess in that case you won't be able to recommend any hops that people can buy from you to brew one tweet. :p

hoppy2B said:
I read somewhere Dupont used a wine yeast for their Saison.

The yeast is said to have originated as a red wine yeast but evolved to break down longer chains of sugar (maltotriose etc) that normal wine yeast supposedly dont.

It doesn't mean you could dump any wine yeast on and bang = Saison

From memory (scotch and stout riddled memory tonight) its only aged in the bottle 6 weeks prior to sale.

There are many different wine yeasts, some of which ferment out the wine very dry. Using one could give a similar result.

wine doesn't have maltotriose in it...

Is maltotriose the sugar that lager yeast can't eat?

My understanding is that both ale and lager yeasts can digest some maltotriose but lager yeast will generally perfom better in this regard. They also can digest other sugars that ale strains struggle with, such as raffinose and melibiose but the effect of those sugars on attenuation is minimal/negligible.

felten said:
wine doesn't have maltotriose in it...
Maltase, which yeast produce, gets its name from where it was discovered. And the naming of said enzyme has bugger all to do with the erroneous belief that beer yeast possess some mystical ability to digest maltose, purportedly lacking in other yeast such as those used to ferment wine.

I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to say..

But it is a fact that some yeast strains cannot ferment maltotriose at all, and some are not good at utilizing all of it.

"erroneous belief that beer yeast possess some mystical ability to digest maltose"

I'm sure you didn't mean to say that?

Latest posts

Back