Saflager S23 Fermentation Temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott

Reaction score
I am attempting a Pilsner today, properly to style brewed at lager temps. I do not have a temp controller and it seems the highest temp I can get the beer fridge to is 7 degrees. The Saflager S23 packet has a range of 11-15 and their website has 9 - 15. Does any one have any experience with these low temps. I would expect the manufacturer has a couple of degrees above their published range to ensure it ferments. I will be out of town tomorrow night for a week and unable to keep an eye on it.

Thanks

Hey scott, had similar issue using that yeast.

I found that the yeast went into hibernation and wouldn't work. You'll have to keep turning the fridge on and off to maintain around the ideal temp. I find that having the fridge on during day and off at night works alright, but temp does fluctuate abit more than you'd like.

I suggest you check this thread lager fermentation

Best of luck. :)

Dravid,

Thanks for the tips and link. I'm going to chance it and get it into the ridge. When I get back I'll be able to turn the fridge on & off. I'm in Karratha, today was cool but we are regularly in the 40's at the moment and the fridge is in a small shed so hopfully it will cycle a little higher on it's own during the day. I am intending to get a temp controller.

Latest posts

Back