Forced Long IPA Ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickyd

Reaction score
Seeking a bit of help on a forced extra long fermentation.

I put down an IPA (OG - 1.053), pitched Safale 05 at 18 degrees. On the 6th day with gravity at 1.014, I dry hopped and raised temp to 21 for diacetyl rest with the intent to leave for 3 days or until final gravity reached and then keg.

The problem I have is I had to go away for 14 days. Now SHMBO is home and is able to adjust temperature in my fermenter, but is unable to keg or transfer to secondary or do much else. I have been making some alterations to my fermenter (which I wont go into) which means cold crashing is not an option.

My questions are - given it has finished fermenting, and I have no choice but to leave it in the fermenter, what is the best temperature to leave it at? Are there any other options anyone can think of? Will the beer be adversely affected?

hi mate, its no issue to leave it in there - assuming it started healthily, is sanitized and airtight. suggest lower temps (sub 20) if possible, but as long as you are not cooking it - it's fine. I keg directly from my primary & was always kegging between the 20 & 30-day mark. US05 has a safe fermentation range of 15 to 24 degrees. In all honesty, it would take an ultra-superior palate to detect the changes from your 3-degree change as well.

If it has finished fermenting - as cold as you can get it.

Th
hi mate, its no issue to leave it in there - assuming it started healthily, is sanitized and airtight. suggest lower temps (sub 20) if possible, but as long as you are not cooking it - it's fine. I keg directly from my primary & was always kegging between the 20 & 30-day mark. US05 has a safe fermentation range of 15 to 24 degrees. In all honesty, it would take an ultra-superior palate to detect the changes from your 3-degree change as well.

Thanks Mattoo,
It will be 21 days when I keg. I was thinking dropping to about 16

Latest posts

Back