Safe to leave in the fermenter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK1

Reaction score
Hi,

Complete novice here. Stuffed up my first batch, second one seems to have gone fine (Brewcraft Little Critters Pale Ale).

It stopped bubbling Sunday night, so today or tomorrow should be safe to bottle (assuming hydrometer reading is constant). But given I am flat out at work, not sure if I'll get to bottle until late in the week or even the weekend unless reapply necessary.

Is it safe to leave in the fermenter for a few extra days? Will this have any side effects (go flat, taste, etc)?

Hope the question isn't too stupid - couldn't find any answers in book I have or a quick search here.

Thanks,
Darren

I think most people on here leave it in the FV for two to three weeks.

OK, found the FAQ above my post (didn't see that before - d'oh) and it confirmed I can safely leave it for a couple of weeks. Glad I could help (myself)! :)

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Yeah mate, totally fine to leave for a couple of weeks. I don't test anything until at least 10 days have past. Most of my brews stay in the fermenter for 2 weeks minimum.

JD

Your brews will be better off if you leave them for longer in the fermenter. Mine are always in for 2 weeks minimum

I've recently started leaving mine for three weeks for the last few brews. Two weeks at 18ish, then one week cc'd at around zero. Not sure the cooling part really requires an entire week, but easier for me to bottle and clean at the weekend rather than mid week.

I have a brew in the FV at the moment that has been in there for 38 days so far (and will probably be in there for another day or two while I clean bottles). So far so good.

I had a stalled fermentation, which was one of the main contributors to the brew being in there so long (also, I've been pretty slack lately. That was probably the main cause....) and then I've been cold crashing since the SG was stable.

It's my third brew that I've left in the FV for longer than 3 weeks and I can tick all the boxes after drinking the resulting beers (Still breathing; not blind; can open another beer), so I reckon it's safe to say that there has been no adverse reaction.

Just don't ask me to do anything that requires fine motor control.....

My last brew was in the FV for at least 50 days.Tasted fantastic. I am very lazy though, and I kicked my self for not having put it in a keg sooner, It was a Coopers Pale Ale can. I guess when you have beer on tap and kegs with beer in them the motivation isnt there. I wouldnt do this in summer though. In winter with cooler temps seems to be ok.

2 week's is my minimum after receiving advice from ahb members. Have noticed a lot of settling occurring around 8-10 days as yeast drops out of suspension, makes bottling easier as I can get eight down to a nice compact cake. Us05 generally used. Bought a second fermenter to ferment for 2 weeks and bottle each week in cycle when my production time allows it.

pickaxe

I've had one in for 4 weeks after primary.

Once I'm back in Tas in 11 days after knocking over 70c cans of Japanese and German beer here in HK, I'll have a look at how it's looking.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and reassurances!

Ended up bottling it on the weekend as I was getting impatient, so in the fermenter about a week and a bit after it was done.

Hopefully all worth it in a couple of weeks.

Now to go buy a second fermenter so I can leave them in there longer but have another one going...

Latest posts

Back