Safale Yeast Packet Puffed Up?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QIK86

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just bought a packet of Safale US-05 but the packet is puffed up, like it's full of air. Has anyone else come across this before? Will the yeast be ok? It was the only one in the fridge at the LHBS, so I bought it anyway, but am just a little worried now I'm thinking more about it.. :huh:

What brand fermentis?

It doesn't sound right to me usually there's a little bit of air in a packet but only enough so when you shake the packet you can get the yeast down the other end.

When you shake it does it still rattle from the dried yeast?

Yep, Fermentis brand. The yeast still rattles around fine in there.

Sounds ok to me. Obviously there no air leak, hence the puffiness. I would rehydrate an hour or so before pitching and see if it kicks. What are you planning on making?

Dried yeasts are either vacuum packed or nitrogen flushed, I'm sure it's fine.

Ditto on the starter. A cup of water, a teaspoon of malt or sugar and let it sit with some gladwrap over the top while you sanitise the fermenter and so on. If it doesn't fire in a few hours [bubbles, froth, etc] then its no good - in which case use the kit yeast.

Cheers - boingk

I've never bothered with rehydrating or making starters, but now's as good a time as any I suppose! :p

So, just to clarify procedure.. First I rehydrate the yeast in 10 times its weight of plain water, stir until creamy, pitch that into a cup of water/dex solution, wait for signs of life, then pitch the whole starter into my wort.. right?

Chappo - planning on making a simple APA. I made it a while ago with Amarillo, but I'm out now so it's back to the Cascade and Chinook.

...making a simple APA...with Amarillo, but I'm out now so it's back to the Cascade and Chinook.
:icon_drool2:
yep rehydrate just sanitize everything all will be good. If I can do it I am sure a monkey with a frontal lobe labotamy can do it... :lol:

be careful with adding any sugars to dry yeast as the dry yeasts are designed to be rehydrated only and not 'proofed'

I personally would go with rehydration in a cup of warmish water. If it creams up OK it should be fine

Link to fermentis tips and tricks document

There are comprehensive instructions here. Use a thermometer to make sure the hydrating mediuym is the right temperature.

In the past, dried yeast technology was poor and people often "proofed" their yeasts. Technology has improved.

Most manufacturers instructions I have read suggest plain sterile water with no sugar. The aim is to rehydrate without the stresses of sugar in the solution. The linked document now suggests either sterile wort or sterile water. If you do hydrate, follow the manufacturers instructions. They are very specific about volume of water, timeframe, temperature and sterility.

The 11 gram fermentis packs I have seen all have some gas in them as opposed to vacuum packs. I suspect that since your yeast has been stored in a fridge and within use by date, it should be fine

Also just noticed it's only just inside it's use by date.. 03/2009.

Latest posts

Back