S.G in Belgium ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrobinson0

Reaction score
Hey all
Put a coppertuns Belgium pale on 14 days ago used the kit ingredients which included a kilo of Dex. Also made a hop tea with some coriander and dried orange.
Dry hopped 10 days in and it smells and tastes amazing from small samples

Only thing is the s.g is reading consistently at 1.024 for the last three days. The instructions said to leave for 5-7 and then get an s.g of 1.008 but mine was still actively fermenting at that point.
All my other brews have hit 1.010-1.016 and have been awesome

Just wanting to kno if I bottle now will I get bombs or should I just bottle.
Thanks

Definitely wouldn't bottle yet. Give it a gentle rouse/stir to get all the yeast in suspension and ensure the temp is >18°C, ideally around 22-25.
Was the yeast fresh?

If it changes anything I don't have temp control but stayed between 16-18c the whole two weeks.

Used the packet yeast and it was epic had lots of airlock action within 30mins of putting it down

One tip given to me by Anthony at Craft Brewer was to delay adding in simple sugars (dex in your case) until 3/4 way through ferment.

yeast are lazy bastards and prefer to chomp on simple sugars than on complex sugars from malt. Get them to bash away at the complex sugars first and then let them bludge off on simple sugars for the last part of the ferment.

And you might want to bump the temp up towards the end of ferment if you have the capability. Gets the yeasties rampaging home on ferment and also cleaning up after themselves.

Apparently some of the commercial Belgians have ferment temps up to high 20s towards end of ferment.

So do you think I should give it a stir/rouse and increase temp. I won't be able to bottle until Monday now due to work but still up the temp

Have you done the fast ferment test?

Manticle wrote a great article on yeast stalling that's on the forum.

Take a sample into a sanitized jar or bottle. Keep it warm and shake the crap out of it. Check the gravity after a few days and see if it moves.

A gentle stir and increased temp are also a good idea. Be careful not to splash your beer around.

mrobinson0 said:
So do you think I should give it a stir/rouse and increase temp. I won't be able to bottle until Monday now due to work but still up the temp
Yes, even raise it up to 22 degrees.

Refractometer by any chance? If so, value needs compensation for alcohol. Failing that, as outlined above by other posters.

Back