S-33 Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think you could have avoided using the WLP005 if brewing temps were higher?

I am doing a wheat with the s-33 this weekend and was going to use 17 degrees,

Do you think it would be beneficial to go 18 or 19 instead to make sure it finishes out?

Or would this be detrimental to the final product?

Marlow

I don't think raising the temp to eat up the last few points will cause any problems. BTW, I've since taken to routinely rousing yeast by gently swirling the fermenter if things slow down...it usually keeps things ticking over.

I've a 5g pack of S-33 I've been meaning to use, thinking I might rehydrate and pitch with a pack of US-05, can anyone see a problem with this?,
i.e. do yeast strains work harmoniously within a multicultural wort society?

I've a 5g pack of S-33 I've been meaning to use, thinking I might rehydrate and pitch with a pack of US-05, can anyone see a problem with this?,
i.e. do yeast strains work harmoniously within a multicultural wort society?

This recipe http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/pink-eleph...s-clone-112957/ uses two types of yeast, Wyeast WLP570 and S-04

I can't see a problem with it but I don't have as much experience as others on here. US-05's flavour seems pretty neutral.

Whatever happened to s33? A lot of older posters seem to think it was wonderful (across the world-wide-web that is, not necessarily this specific post) but then... nothing. The Rob Lowe of yeasts...

Do people still use it?

If not, why not? Is it the fact that it is a non-specific 'general purpose' yeast and we home-brewers have become increasingly erudite and prefer to add yeast to a beer that has at least been marketed as being 'specific' to our needs in terms of style?

Rob Lowe was great in The West Wing.

I use it for German style beers with rauch malt, European noble hops etc. The yeast is very neutral and has no Belgian character at all. Only downside is it easily disturbed in the bottle when poured.

Got a couple of packs of s33 cause the lhbs was clearing them out, also picked up 10 litres of juice for a cider.

Has anyone tried this in a cider before? My other option is t-58 which might contribute to a little more flavour complexity?

Back