S-04 yeast.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a mixed bag with this yeast too.

My only successes in getting it to ferment out properly have been when I aerate with pure O2 (on top of pretty much all the other "basics" outlined by MHB in post #18).

pcmfisher said:
^^ Yes, that's all very well, but it doesn't explain why some people have trouble with S04 and not with other yeasts.
Is S04 more susceptible to these shortcomings?
BTW, I have never had trouble with S04.
Actually I don't believe that to be the case. If you do a bit of searching you will find the same complaints abought any yeast you care to name, including S-05, Nottingham...

Perhaps it a perception thing, or a bit of the old accepted wisdom - different forums tend to have different pet hates. More likely the more popular the yeast the more people have a problem (whatever the cause) so more comment is made about better sellers.

BYO had a decent write-up on the subject a while ago, just searched for it BYO "Stuck Ferment: Techniques"
On the other hand Commercial references are pretty thin on the ground, perhaps commercial brewers know the value of making a healthy wort in the first place.
Mark

All yeasts are different. Don't expect to be able to just sprinkle a packet of s-04 onto 1.050-60 wort and get a fully attenuated beer. S-04 requires a bit of love, infinite examples of which have been outlined on this site. Another example of a finicky yeast are the saisons. The French one is much more easy to work with.

Hey Mark,
Thanks for your feed back. Bit forward but i can completely understand.
At the moment tho i am currently an extract brewer and looking to move ahead. I really want to learn to brew but everywhere (most places) im reading there is next to nothing on that subject of pitching right. Most say pitch on top or rehydrate.
I have seen issues with other yeasts. But not myself.
Im here to learn and fix where im going wrong or if it's something else. I wanna learn how to brew and better myself and my brews
I love beer in how simple it is yet how complicated and intricate it is.
My pa told me the more love you put into something the more love you get back.
Thanks
Cheers

Fendercaster said:
Thanks
Cheers
Its like a lot of things when you first start to learn, it can seem quite daunting, things are only as complicated as you make them, you will look back and realise it isn't that complicated.

Fendercaster said:
Hey Mark,
At the moment tho i am currently an extract brewer and looking to move ahead. I really want to learn to brew but everywhere (most places) im reading there is next to nothing on that subject of pitching right. Most say pitch on top or rehydrate.
Im here to learn and fix where im going wrong or if it's something else. I wanna learn how to brew and better myself and my brews
Thanks
Cheers
There is a book available that teaches you all about yeast. It is unsurprisingly titled 'Yeast'. It is written by Chris White (of White Labs fame) and Jamil Zainasheff. I highly recommend it. It covers all sorts of useful theory and practical stuff.

Fendercaster said:
Hey Mark,
Thanks
Cheers
You are entirely welcome, If you persist with that type of thinking odds are you will make good consistent beer.
On the subject of yeast and whether to rehydrate, perhaps later whether to make a starter or to just sprinkle on top. It isn't a case of right or wrong, all three options have both advantages and disadvantages. I would strongly recommend that you read the manufacturers instructions for the yeast and do exactly what they say - they should know better than you or I how to get the most out of their product.

Sprinkling is quick and easy, done at the right temperature it will give reasonable results. Hydrating the yeast should improve its performance but do it wrong and you can harm the yeast (again follow makers instructions precisely). Do a split brew, hydrate half the yeast and dry pitch the rest, let your palette decide which works best for you.

With extract quite a few of the potentially problematic processes are done for you (Mash time/temp, mineral salt additions...) the extract should give reasonable results and with a bit of experience you can make excellent beer.
As mentioned above you can make brewing as easy or as complicated as you like, if you maintain a focus on making good beer, do a bit of research and build your knowledge and experience you can make world class beer.
This is a really good starting point for yeast, its by Fermentis so has a bias and is aimed at craft breweries but should head you in the right direction Tips & Tricks - Fermentis
Good luck and enjoy the journey.
Mark

wide eyed and legless said:
Its like a lot of things when you first start to learn, it can seem quite daunting, things are only as complicated as you make them, you will look back and realise it isn't that complicated.
Yes. What i ment was that veer is simple in that its water. Yeast. Malt and hops. Mybe a few variables but then it get deeper. Balance on flavour. Malta used. Hop profiles and ibus. Yeasts. Its such a beautiful thing. I look forward to getting to know it simply and feel its not too complicated. I think the depth of it is beautiful. Its almost intoxicating for me

It's intoxicating to anyone if they drink enough. :p

I get where you're coming from though. It's a simple process but there is a lot to learn about it, I also find it very interesting and am always looking to learn more about it.

MHB said:
Actually I don't believe that to be the case. If you do a bit of searching you will find the same complaints abought any yeast you care to name, including S-05, Nottingham...

Perhaps it a perception thing, or a bit of the old accepted wisdom - different forums tend to have different pet hates. More likely the more popular the yeast the more people have a problem (whatever the cause) so more comment is made about better sellers.

BYO had a decent write-up on the subject a while ago, just searched for it BYO "Stuck Ferment: Techniques"
On the other hand Commercial references are pretty thin on the ground, perhaps commercial brewers know the value of making a healthy wort in the first place.
Mark
Ok, I'm with you.

Sort of like Nottingham strips hop flavour and US05 is a diacetyl monster..............

You cannot go beyond the manufacturers instructions...pitch directly onto top of wort,only been brewing for 9 years so I could be wrong!

Ok, so this why this forum is great.
Thanks to all who messaged back. I have found that i am probably under pitching (probably everyone, just been lucky a few brews have fermented out)
I am going to start my yeasts now with a starter and try and salvage more for yeasts on hand in my fridge. If anyone has any help or directions to start that would be apprecaited, or if some one is around the Nowra area of NSW and does said things id love to watch and learn over a brew.
Once again, thanks

So, how did you go? I've never had a problem with this yeast, 'though I wouldn't try to brew a high alcohol beer with it - it's a traditional Midlands Ale yeast. I usually use it to brew in the style, so my OG is never as high as some have mentioned, but I suspect most are having problems with their mashing more than anything. If you are not using accurate mashing techniques, I would not recommend this yeast - 'though you could try increasing the pitching rate. If you are trying for over 5% I would just forget it - you aren't in traditional ale territory any more.

Back