S-04 High Temps?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmolou

Reaction score
ok i've got a old ale in the fermentor atm and started at 20c and has crept upto 24c how will this affect my brew i know about esters and all that but how much can i expect at 24c will they be overpowering or compliment my beer

also i will be aging this beer for at least 5 months (i'm going oversea's)

ok i've got a old ale in the fermentor atm and started at 20c and has crept upto 24c how will this affect my brew i know about esters and all that but how much can i expect at 24c will they be overpowering or compliment my beer

also i will be aging this beer for at least 5 months (i'm going oversea's)

So4 is reasonably forgiving especially with a dark beer.
If you are bottling it before you go and you can leave the bottles stored under say 12 deg c then you should come back to some reasonably good beers given if all your other procedures are OK.
i wouldn't worry too much about the extra couple of degrees during ferment.

Cheers

yer thought id just check with the guru's haha
i figured even if it had esters it'd be alright cos i loveee my belgians :super:

Second vote for ageing improving it - if drunk in the short term [as in sub 4 weeks] you *may* notice a slightly harsher than normal bitterness or poorer head retention and a few estery flavours murking around. 5 months will pretty much help all but the most flawed beer, I've certainly had some that I thought to be cactus early on but turned out reasonable at the very least. Good luck and happy drinking 5 months from now eh?

Cheers - boingk

[PS: No way I'm a guru...just a tight-arse uni student who knows a bit about basic HB'ing. K&K to partials, zero AG. Haha!]

Latest posts

Back