Rust Prevention

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason

Reaction score
Hi

The rollers on my recently purchased barely crusher have developed a number of patches of rust. The crusher has not been exposed to any moisture that I know of. Could someone give me some advice on what I can do to prevent this rust.

Thanks in advance
J

Humidity in the air may be enough to cause drama's, even more so if you're close to the sea, and probably the grain dust reacting with water wouldn't be a good thing. If my Chemitry is correct it takes acid to start rusting, but the sugars from the malt may produce this...don't know how though. I don't own a grain mill (yet) so just throwing some thoughts around. I'd recommend rinsing the mill with a relatively pure water source, drying completely and applying a light mist of cooking oil to the rollers prior to storing it away.

Been a couple of years since I studied corrosion, but in a nutshell corrosion is the exchange of ions between two metal species. This exchange usually happens either during direct contact, or through water or other liquids.

So best ways of preventing rust:
-Keep it away from moisture
-Keep it away from other metals.

There are methods for preventing certain types of rust between certain metals, probably best you tell us what metal(s) the mill is made of, etc.

Adam

Perhaps you could investigate storing the mill with some kind of sacrificial material. When I was crayfishing, all the cray pots would have a zinc block on them as a sacrificial material. This would cause corrosion to take place eating away the zinc block instead of the steel mesh the pot was made of, and was pretty effective. Bearing in mind that obviously you wouldn't be dipping your mill in salt water, and I'm not sure if the same principle would apply in air at all, but maybe if you were able to get hold of a small piece of zinc, or perhaps even a small amount of zinc / zinc coated steel and leave it in contact with one roller maybe? Does other mild steel rust up over time where you are? Maybe instead of using your mill in the experiment, cut a piece of scrap mild steel in half, and leave them both out, one with a piece of zinc on it and see what happens? It's all about the exchange of ions as Adam said, to balance electric charge during the corrosion process, and the zinc being more willing to give them up than the mild steel if I remember my chemistry....so it's important that the zinc is not insulated from the material you are attempting to protect.....or you could just not worry about the chemistry of it and just make sure you give it a good clean up after use so there's no flour for moisture to accumulate on. I don't think you should wet or oil it however, the minute you do that, you're going to get flour from the next milling gunking things up. Maybe get some silica crystals and store it in a closed container with them........

Use a large plastic bag, (like the ones inside 25Kg Bairds Malt bags) spray the inside with cooking oil and store the mill inside, zip tie the end of the bag closed the with as much air squeezed out as possible. Thats how I store my Crankandstein.

Cranknadsteininbag.jpg

Thanks for the all the advice people. A friend just told me to try and clean it up with a bit of WD40. So Ill give that ago.

Whoa there! Youre gonna grind grain for beer in them thar rollers! Keep the chemical shit away from them, use a small wire brush, they look like a toothbrush, available from SupaCheap or Bunnings. Brass wire or something soft. Use a light spray with some cooking oil, never seems to hurt my rollers. Thought it might glug up the rollers at first but theres never any sign of a problem, the flour still bumps off the rollers at the end of a crush.

ewwwwwwww....WD40........no good. Just the edible stuff. The in a bag idea looks good Screwtop.

Get some spray on cooking oil and give them a spray after you crush, and a wipe before use.

I know some acids convert rust (I have phosphoric acid in mind) to a polymer like substance, but are pretty crappy at preventing rust.

Depending on how serious you are, you can also buy DIY nickel plating (electroplating) kits for about $100.

I would not even worry about the rust....it isnt going to affect anything, unless it is in big flakes.

Surface rust wont kill you.....

Lucky I read the last posts. I was about to use the WD40. Ok, ill give cooking oil and a light scrub with a wire brush a go.
Thanks all for the advice

J

Was decommissioning my mill yesterday in preparation for our move next week and after I took the hopper off i noticed some dark spots on the rollers, one being about the size of a five cent piece.

had a closer look and arrgghhhh!! rust spots...

I mailed Jack Schmidling Productions who are the makers regarding this and this is what they replied with.

First of all, do not clean or dust it between uses. The dust is what
> prevents rust.
>
> If the rust bothers you, remove the rollers and clean with a wire brush
> and WD40.
>
> A little (or even a lot) of rust is not going to have the slightest
> effect on your beer.
>
> js

cheers
johnno