Rum & Raison Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigie

Reaction score
Hi ya, this is my first post on AHB so apologies if this topic has been covered before. I am looking at doing a rum and raison stout, sort of based on the cadbury choccy bar, fruit and nut, a big ask I know I'm open to any suggestions as to how I may make this delicious sounding brew. Also Looking at doing a rasberry wheat as well. Now here's the tough bit, currently only brewing kit & kilo and dabbling in extract, yes I'm only a novice art the mo. Cheers.

I assume you will only achieve nutty flavours by using the appropriate yeast, as for the raisins chuck them into the secondary ferment?

Hi ya, this is my first post on AHB so apologies if this topic has been covered before. I am looking at doing a rum and raison stout, sort of based on the cadbury choccy bar, fruit and nut, a big ask I know I'm open to any suggestions as to how I may make this delicious sounding brew. Also Looking at doing a rasberry wheat as well. Now here's the tough bit, currently only brewing kit & kilo and dabbling in extract, yes I'm only a novice art the mo. Cheers.
Welcome to the forum Craigie,
Nice recipe idea.
I threw 100g of raisins in with my latest belgian Dubbel (AG). The flavour is there, a bit faint, but very nice.

They've got vegetable oil stated on the ingredients, so maybe a rinse out, or a short boil to wash/sanitise them.
As a guess, I'd probably throw a 300g pack of raisins in with your brew.

Basic recipe idea.
Coopers Stout kit, (or any other brand you choose)
1kg Dried Dark malt Extract (DDME)
200g Choc, or choc chit grain - steeped.
raisins
20g goldings or fuggles
Safale S-04 yeast.

Cheers Pete

If you do a search on here, using the google search option, you should find references to rum and raison.
A member here called Bindi did a rum and raison beer just using the bars at the end of the boil I think.

If you are doing extract, or even kits, with a small boil it will still be fine

Find what he did with the chocolate, get yourself together an appropriate stout kit or extract recipe and away you go...

Rasberry wheat is easy.
Wheat kit or else just tins of wheat extract, some german hops, I like tettnang in fruit beers myself, and ferment as normal.
I think the dry yeast wb06 is good for fruit wheats, more spice than the banana of a bavarian hefe. Either that or k97 german ale.
Then, either rack to secondary or add fruit in the end of primary, after fermentation is complete.
I use frozen berries, the Gourmet brand I think it is called, but if you can get them from another source that's all good.

You need at least 1kg for a normal 20-23L batch, preferrably a little over in my book but around 1kg is fine.
leave them on the beer for a week or so then I usuallly rack to another fermenter to leave all the fruity bits behind, chill and bottle/keg as normal.

Again, search for rasberry or fruit wheat will get you lots of info...

I assume you will only achieve nutty flavours by using the appropriate yeast, as for the raisins chuck them into the secondary ferment?

Thanks Wisey, I thought that was the most likely way to go, how much would u suggest, also I presume I should put them in a hop sock or something.

If you do a search on here, using the google search option, you should find references to rum and raison.
A member here called Bindi did a rum and raison beer just using the bars at the end of the boil I think.

Find what he did with the chocolate, get yourself together an appropriate stout kit or extract recipe and away you go...

Rasberry wheat is easy.
Wheat kit or else just tins of wheat extract, some german hops, I like tettnang in fruit beers myself, and ferment as normal.
I think the dry yeast wb06 is good for fruit wheats, more spice than the banana of a bavarian hefe. Either that or k97 german ale.
Then, either rack to secondary or add fruit in the end of primary, after fermentation is complete.
I use frozen berries, the Gourmet brand I think it is called, but if you can get them from another source that's all good.

You need at least 1kg for a normal 20-23L batch, preferrably a little over in my book but around 1kg is fine.
leave them on the beer for a week or so then I usuallly rack to another fermenter to leave all the fruity bits behind, chill and bottle/keg as normal.

Thanks dude, I thought I may have gone out on a limb here but it seems I'm not the only one with some strange brews. Must admit that the exrtact option seems the way to go, bou't time I moved on from the K&K's

Nice recipe idea.
I threw 100g of raisins in with my latest belgian Dubbel (AG). The flavour is there, a bit faint, but very nice.

They've got vegetable oil stated on the ingredients, so maybe a rinse out, or a short boil to wash/sanitise them.

Basic recipe idea.
raisins
20g goldings or fuggles
Safale S-04 yeast.

Cheers Pete

Thanks Pete, that sounds pretty much what I'm after, shall give it a go.

Rasberry wheat is easy.

Thanks dude, hey fellow Babbs member Shall se ya at the next meeting

Nice recipe idea.

Basic recipe idea.
raisins
20g goldings or fuggles
Safale S-04 yeast.

Cheers Pete

Hey dude i like the sound of ya rocky road cherry, I thought I was being adventourous, would love to know how it turns out, if you havn't already gathered I'm a big fan of the choccy beers.

Hey dude i like the sound of ya rocky road cherry, I thought I was being adventourous, would love to know how it turns out, if you havn't already gathered I'm a big fan of the choccy beers.

Hey dude, what's ya ideas on a cherry ripe stout? Probably geting a little to adventurous but i's a thought, hmmmm

Haven't done the rocky road stout yet, but like bconnery said, there's heaps of info in the articles section on fruit in beers.
I reckon you need to add heaps more fruit for darks & stouts. I did a mulberry stout a couple of years ago, but it needed a hell lot more berries.
I'd be going with minimum 2kg.

Did a raspeberry blonde a few years ago (1.5kg split between primary & secondary) , and it was fantastic.

if your keen for an experiment and your really want the run and raisin flavours....

get your raisins, simmer them in a little bit of water for a while. the aim to to soften them up. once plimp and juicy, blend the crap out of them. now you have 2 options. either try and strain the pulp or leave it as is. I vote for leave it as is.

in secondary (once primary fermentation has finshed so say after 5 days) throw in the puree and slow stir it in. that should get you a good flavouring. now the rum could be added at bottling. say 1-2 drops per 750ml of rum essence.

now if you wanted nutty tastes. yup yeast will get you some flavours and so will using some types of specialty grain. you could i guess try a similar process as above for the nuts but be aware the oil from the nuts may affect head retention

edit: re fruit beer. I did Bconnery's strawbeery ale (straw wheat beer). i used just over 2kg. you wouldnt wan to use much less.

edit: re fruit beer. I did Bconnery's strawbeery ale (straw wheat beer). i used just over 2kg. you wouldnt wan to use much less.

Different fruits need different amounts though. I've used only 1.3kgs of mixed berries (raspberries and others) in a fruit wheat and it was enough, but I won't make the strawbeery with anything less than 3kgs these days, usually more...

Rasberry wheat is easy.

I like the sound of the raspberry wheat. I haven't done a brew in years so I'm looking to get back into it now. I've always been a sucker for doing brews that are a bit different to the norm (why brew a beer that you can buy cheaply in a shop?). What is a good temp for a wheat to brew at?

Wyeast 3787 has a very strong raisin presence. I reckon if you went with Citymorgue's suggestion plus used 3787, it would be approaching what you want. As for the rum - I guess a high gravity/warm alcohol ferment would give you that - a bit like westmalle dubbel.

If I could make anything approaching that though I'd be a very happy man. None of my attempts so far have been even in the ballpark.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

So many of the flavours you are after can be obtained without adding fruit/choc/anything you have in your pantry to you beer. I dont really get why (and this is more aimed at AG brewers) add so many additional flavours to their beers. Good choice of malts, hops and yeast and the possible flavours/aromas are near endless. (yes, i am wearing a full length flame suit, and am holding a fire extinguisher :ph34r: )

Raisins are easy - Bairds Dark Crystal. And since you are a kit brewer that works well. Steep it.

The rum, or the alcohol warmth is part and parcel of higher ABV beers. (yes you could add an essence but why?)

Ok, so you want these flavours in a stout.

I'll throw a recipe idea at you.

Why not get all the colour, flavour and aroma you want in a stout from adding steeped grains, hops (and yeast other than the one that comes under the lid of your kit)?

Will require slightly more effort than a dump and stir job but the rewards are ten fold.

2 x Coopers Lager kits
1 x unhopped extract (1.5kg)
250g Bairds Dark Crystal
250g Bairds Roasted Barley
250g JW choc chit
25g Fuggles
S-04 yeast

Make it up to 23L

From distant memory each kit of Coopers Lager contributes 23 IBU per 23L, you have a total IBU of 46 IBU.

Steep the 3 malts, strain, rinse, then bring to the boil. Add Fuggles, boil 10 mins. IBU addition = a few.

Add everything else, top up to 23L. Pitch yeast.

OG 1.070 so you are in big stout territory ~ 6.8% abv. If that level of ABV is too much, drop the unhopped extract.

Nice and easy.

You can get the ingredients other than the cans of extract from one of the site sponsors, the rest from your local HBS.

Cheers
DrSmurto

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

So many of the flavours you are after can be obtained without adding fruit/choc/anything you have in your pantry to you beer. I dont really get why (and this is more aimed at AG brewers) add so many additional flavours to their beers. Good choice of malts, hops and yeast and the possible flavours/aromas are near endless.

The more I learn, the more I tend to agree. Early on it's great to experiment and throw everything in and see what it does and doesn't. Perhaps when you have everything down pat, it's also good. However the idea that I can potentially make a beer that tastes like whisky and raisins or coffee and chocolate from just malt, yeast, water and hops really excites me. That's not to disparage anyone who wants to give it a go but at least try it both ways.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated all the replies and sharing af wisdom. A Lot of ideas to try out, cheers guys.

Latest posts

Back