Rubbish Head Retention

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also if your looking for a easy american pale ale goo brew try this.

2 cans of 1.7KG hopped extract (can be different if you like)
1-3 of the hop teabags or
one of the hop packets (variety matched to beer style) from the fridge at the LHBS you will only need around 15g each brew)
Also you can get 1kg of LDME so you can increase the SG if you like.

Basically the process I followed was.

Boil the kettle and place the boiled water into a medium sized pot open the 2 extract cans and place them in the pot leave for 10-20 minutes, this increase in temp and will make the extract pore easier.

If you have a large pot put another boiled kettles worth of water into the pot.

Pour the goo into a sanitized fermenter (the cans will be hot) and then pour the water from the pot or fresh boiled kettle water into the cans (they will be even hotter now) and mix the water and extract to try and get every last bit of goodness out. Or
In a big pot pore the extract in with around 5L of water and mix everything very well and then bring everything to a boil, keep mixing the entire time as the concentrated wort can burn and that does not taste nice, fill the sink with water and put the pot in it for a few mins to cool then pour concentrated wort into the sanitized fermenter (skip the next 2 steps).

Tip more boiled water into the fermenter and mix it as much as you can, try to get it all dissolved BUT try not to splash to much as this stage.

Put about 5L of water into the fermenter and mix it some more, splashing is not as bad now the water temp should not be as hot.

Top up the fermenter with cold water to your desired volume mix the crap out of it and then mix the crap out of it again then take a gravity reading, if you are below the reading you were expecting and you have mixed the crap out of it again add the LDME (around 250g should be enough).

After about 4 days (or after racking to secondary) chuck in the hop teabags or around 15g of the hops. You want to leave these guys in for about a week.

Bottle and enjoy in a month or so.

Notes:
The reason I used 2 hopped cans is the IBU of the extract cans is usually a little low for a American Pale Ale, 2 cans will generally bring the IBUs to a around 30-35 IBU, check the IBU of the cans just to be safe.

The dry hops are used so you get the aroma of a APA, getting the teabags is quick and easy but are not worth the money IMO a 100g bag of hops (from the fridge) will cost you around $10-20 and will last 6 brews and the aroma you get from these is heaps better than the teabags.

If you feel a little more adventuress try steeping some grain as well...

I hope the instructions are easy to follow and I am telling you to suck eggs.

Interesting that you are just starting off on your kits and stuff but are kegging and know the term forced carbing and priming.........I reckon your full of shit and trolling.................mind you scored replies from some experienced blokes on this site.............carniebrew is dodgy as well though......... <_<

Could be a troll but but there are also K&K brewers who have kegging systems at home.

Not when they've just started brewing!

Interesting that you are just starting off on your kits and stuff but are kegging and know the term forced carbing and priming.........I reckon your full of shit and trolling.................mind you scored replies from some experienced blokes on this site.............carniebrew is dodgy as well though......... <_<

Ouch Rowy. Just because I say I am new doesn't mean that I don't have a boring desk job and don't google the crap out of my latest obsessions all day. Wouldn't a troll just try to spark conflict on other people threads? If I'm a troll, I'm the worst in history.

Anyway, re me kegging. I brewed a few times years ago but it always failed around the 3rd or 4th time I had to wash a crap load of plastic bottles. This time it was sh*t or get off the pot. I invested a load of time and money getting my setup and I'm just trying to get some decent beers happening with the help of some people more experienced than me. Thats one of the reasons these forums exist right?

Anyway, I'd correct your grammar and say its 'I reckon you're full of shit and trolling', but that would be trollish of me ;-)

Confirms it!

Also if your looking for a easy american pale ale goo brew try this.

2 cans of 1.7KG hopped extract (can be different if you like)
1-3 of the hop teabags or
one of the hop packets (variety matched to beer style) from the fridge at the LHBS you will only need around 15g each brew)
Also you can get 1kg of LDME so you can increase the SG if you like.

Basically the process I followed was.

Boil the kettle and place the boiled water into a medium sized pot open the 2 extract cans and place them in the pot leave for 10-20 minutes, this increase in temp and will make the extract pore easier.

If you have a large pot put another boiled kettles worth of water into the pot.

Pour the goo into a sanitized fermenter (the cans will be hot) and then pour the water from the pot or fresh boiled kettle water into the cans (they will be even hotter now) and mix the water and extract to try and get every last bit of goodness out. Or
In a big pot pore the extract in with around 5L of water and mix everything very well and then bring everything to a boil, keep mixing the entire time as the concentrated wort can burn and that does not taste nice, fill the sink with water and put the pot in it for a few mins to cool then pour concentrated wort into the sanitized fermenter (skip the next 2 steps).

Tip more boiled water into the fermenter and mix it as much as you can, try to get it all dissolved BUT try not to splash to much as this stage.

Put about 5L of water into the fermenter and mix it some more, splashing is not as bad now the water temp should not be as hot.

Top up the fermenter with cold water to your desired volume mix the crap out of it and then mix the crap out of it again then take a gravity reading, if you are below the reading you were expecting and you have mixed the crap out of it again add the LDME (around 250g should be enough).

After about 4 days (or after racking to secondary) chuck in the hop teabags or around 15g of the hops. You want to leave these guys in for about a week.

Bottle and enjoy in a month or so.

Notes:
The reason I used 2 hopped cans is the IBU of the extract cans is usually a little low for a American Pale Ale, 2 cans will generally bring the IBUs to a around 30-35 IBU, check the IBU of the cans just to be safe.

The dry hops are used so you get the aroma of a APA, getting the teabags is quick and easy but are not worth the money IMO a 100g bag of hops (from the fridge) will cost you around $10-20 and will last 6 brews and the aroma you get from these is heaps better than the teabags.

If you feel a little more adventuress try steeping some grain as well...

I hope the instructions are easy to follow and I am telling you to suck eggs.

Cheers Punkal. That definitely sounds a step up from the 'mix a can of stuff with sugar and water' that I've been doing (and trying to get away from). I've added hops before, but I never thought about 2 cans of extract. Sounds interesting.

Not when they've just started brewing!
I got sick of bottling after my first batch
had my kegging setup ready for my second batch and have only done a full batch of bottles for my wedding since

Interesting that you are just starting off on your kits and stuff but are kegging and know the term forced carbing and priming.........I reckon your full of shit and trolling.................mind you scored replies from some experienced blokes on this site.............carniebrew is dodgy as well though.........

Rowy, why are you getting aggressive? If you think he is trolling, ignore him, otherwise if you are going to post something be constructive.

No need to bring other people into your little conspiracy theory either.

OP, there could be any number of reasons, as most of the constructive contributors have already pointed out, but one thing that continuously happened to me when I force carbed my kegs was the first 2 litres I poured were under carbed.

I now use 2/3 cup of dextrose to carbonate my kegs and so far I am happier with the outcome.

Carniebrew: Cheers for the recipe, I'll give it a shot. I added amarillo hops to this batch as I like a hoppy beer (my favourite beer ATM is Murrays Icon 2 IPA, its definitely a BIG beer) and i'm happy with that aspect of my current brew. I might hop up your recipe unless you think thats a terrible idea. like i said, I'm a noob at home brewing :)
If you like your beers with big hops, screw the Coopers Real Ale and just go straight for the Coopers IPA kit can instead. It'll take your IBU's from low 30's to the low 40's.

Then by all means feel free to dry hop after say day 5 of fermentation by chucking some of your favourite finishing hops (Amarillo is a great choice) in there for 4 or 5 days. If you're racking to a secondary FV then add the hops after you've done that, otherwise do it all in the primary.

Not gonna be as badass as Murray's Icon 2, but it'll be good, and will cost you under $40 for 60 odd stubbies of the stuff.

If you want a really hoppy ******* of an IPA, and have a pot capable of boiling 8 litres of water, why not try this extract recipe, but substitute the 1.5kg of light LME for a Coopers Australian Pale Ale kit can. You should end up with an IPA of 66 IBU's and 6.1% abv. That'll give Icon 2 a run for its money.

If you want a really hoppy ******* of an IPA, and have a pot capable of boiling 8 litres of water, why not try this extract recipe, but substitute the 1.5kg of light LME for a Coopers Australian Pale Ale kit can. You should end up with an IPA of 66 IBU's and 6.1% abv. That'll give Icon 2 a run for its money.

Thanks carniebrew. I think we have a winner :)

I got sick of bottling after my first batch
had my kegging setup ready for my second batch and have only done a full batch of bottles for my wedding since

Same here. I bottled a total of two batches before I bought a kegerator/etc. In 12 months it's paid itself off in the money I've saved not buying commercial beer.

Latest posts

Back