Round Phalse Bottom In Square Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benf

Reaction score
I have been brewing all grain for a year or two now using a 9 inch round steel phalse bottom (bought from Grain & Grape) in a bucket as a mash tun. I am batch sparging. The bucket finally has given way and I am looking to upgrade to a bigger vessel, either a chilly bin or some form of self-made insulated food-grade plastic container. Unfortunately at present it does not seem possible to buy the round rubbermaid coolers in New Zealand as it is out of season for the retailers, therefore my new mash tun is most likely to be square or rectangle.

My question is, instead of mucking around building a new manifold of either ss braid or copper, does anyone see any problem with just using my round phalse bottom in a sqaure mash tun ?? Is anyone doing this?? Would certaily save me some time, $$ and effort if this would work.

As long as it fits, no problem.

Efficiency is likely to suffer in an un-matched shape mash vessel, as the FB is not picking up equally from the corners and edges of the vessel.

Then again, if you don't have to wreck the mash tun to use the round FB, it's worth a go. You'll know the difference, if any, after the first batch. :rolleyes:

Efficiency is likely to suffer in an un-matched shape mash vessel, as the FB is not picking up equally from the corners and edges of the vessel.

Then again, if you don't have to wreck the mash tun to use the round FB, it's worth a go. You'll know the difference, if any, after the first batch. :rolleyes:

If he cracked coarse, floated the mash and ran off slow, efficiency would increase, regardless of the shape of the fb/manifold/toilet supply pipe/curtain material/garden hose.

Take the FB to the shops and see how it fits in the base of the 'chilly bin'.

Latest posts

Back