Rotating Racking Arm

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olskoolsoulja

Reaction score
HI,

looking for a Design or how to , type site etc on making a Rotating racking arm using a weldless fitting.

cheers
Rich

First of all this doesn't look to fit the retail section so I have moved it. I can't say I would be an expert but the answer likely depends heavily on the fermenter that the racking arm is going in. I have just bought a Blichmann conical and the racking arm seems to be about 1" into the fermenter and about 4" long, looks like it will leave about 1L in the fermenter (14gal) when done. Basically a bit of stainless with an elbow in it, flared at one end where the fitting meets the rest of the external assembly.

A bit more description on what you are trying to do always helps.

do a google for "Konical Kitz" they make one. it may give you some inspiration. Otherwise, try contacting Asher I believe he made 1 for his plastic conical.

olskoolsoulja here's mine it fits onto a stainless conical between the yellow and red silicon orings and rotates between the orings .

asher how does your one rotate is through the compression fitting ?
Picture_026.jpg

In all honesty you are probably better of not using a weldless design as there are too many places for bugs to hide and a pain in the backside to clean, refer to the recent thread on the cheap ebay conicals for one guys experiences. Have a look at this idea, it can be done with only two welds which if done from the inside would not even need be backpurged. If you don't have access to a tig welder or someone to do it for you it could easily be done with an oxy torch and cadmium free silver solder.
View attachment Rotating_racking_arm.pdf

i think this is simular to what you were suggesting darryn
rotating racking arm
Yeah thats basically it, except passing the racking tube through the cap makes it easier to keep that joint sanitary. For ultimate cleanliness put a 1/2" ferrule on the end of the racking arm and use a triclover valve as well.
I have mucked around with a 3/4" mini triclover and you can just get a 1/2" stainless tube through it but it is tricky to negotiate the bent part of the arm. A 1" ferrule makes it very easy.

I don't understand why you want a rotating racking arm.. aren't you dropping the yeast out the bottom first?

Thanks paul b ,

I was trying to get my head around how it seals , basic really.

cheers

In all honesty you are probably better of not using a weldless design as there are too many places for bugs to hide and a pain in the backside to clean, refer to the recent thread on the cheap ebay conicals for one guys experiences. Have a look at this idea, it can be done with only two welds which if done from the inside would not even need be backpurged. If you don't have access to a tig welder or someone to do it for you it could easily be done with an oxy torch and cadmium free silver solder.
View attachment 17914

thanks for the advice ausdb i was Originally going to do that type of racking arm but thought i would try weldless fittings first.
i will see how they go and may do the tri clover fitting later if they are a pain to clean.
my brother did most of the welding on the conical but he has a mate who use to build fermenters back in the uk so i'll ask him to do it if i go down that path
cheers paul

Back