Rooftop Red Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the Matilda Bay mixed 12 pack (Beez Neez, Bohemian Pilsner, Rooftop Red and Redback) a few days ago as it included a glass and was the same price as 2 six-packs. I have opened (amongst others :unsure: ) 2 Rooftop Reds and am so dissatisfied that I'm contemplating sending the brewery an e-mail. It's nothing like I remember it - it's now incredibly sweet, to the point of being cloying with a bitterness that's lacking in such a sweet beer. I'm no beer judge and have difficulty describing what I actually taste (that will change with formal training), but the balance is just not there.

I'm having difficulty actually drinking it; to me it tastes like it's underattenuated. I'm waiting for a sample to warm up so I can get a hydrometer (and refractometer for the hell of it) reading.

My bet is that it's going to be an expected FG, but perhpas the recipe has now included too much of the sweet malts and less base/roast malts than in the past. Either that, or the beer was sent out of the brewery after too short a conditioning phase. It's not a butterscotch flavour, so I doubt it's diacetyl.

Has anyone else had a bottle of this recently and care to comment?

I quite like this beer. I tried getting a shirt at the Glenmore but they told me they didn't have any for sale. Staff only. I tried emailing the brewery and was told they don't sell to the public........

....But because of the lateness of the reply, I got one. Looks great, I just need to lose a few kilos to fit into the XXL.

NRB, I think you may have been sold beer from an old batch. I tasted my first ever Rooftop about 2 weeks ago and it had a solid bitterness. Very nicely balanced I would say. I think it would have been well served by some ale yeast esters, but for a defined ale, I think it was fine. Anything but cloying.

I went to a wedding recently where they served Redback and Rooftop Red all night. Much better than the normaly New or VB that would normally be served at these type of shindigs.

I therefore proceeded to taste quite a few bottles to ensure batch to batch quality isn't an issue for the brewery :D .

Mind you, the couple that were married aren't too strapped for cash either, so that might have been a factor. ;)

Thanks Pok and Karl ,

Any saving is a good one and I'm more than happy with shopping in Oz when every possible .
Will contact Karl, Monday ..

This BB came @ just the right time for me as I have been redesigning my Brewery and had been dropping pump hints for about 3 months , So when I said "oh looky here the boys are organizing a BB" it was "Just do it " ... Also had a huge win in the Reese shop friday arvo with gas fittings discounted after saying I was upgrading an AG brew rig ... Bla bla bla for the next 10 minutes and then WOW walk out with $145 worth for $48 ...

Thanks guys ..

Cheers

Bringing up an old thread but has anyone mate a clone of this beer? Tried the beer once and enjoyed it, thought it might be worth copying.

Cheers, Pok

Tried this for the first time the other day, pretty good and would also like a recipe on a clone.
I got it in a mixed case with bee knees, redback, and boh pils. Not a bad deal but would have been better if they have swapped one of the wheats for alpha pale ale.

Tried this for the first time the other day, pretty good and would also like a recipe on a clone.
I got it in a mixed case with bee knees, redback, and boh pils. Not a bad deal but would have been better if they have swapped one of the wheats for alpha pale ale.

whered u get the mixed case wouldnt mind one

got it from bws at berowra (northern sydney)

Has anyone else had a bottle of this recently and care to comment?

Not recently, but that is exactly my experience from drinking on tap. Most of the time it is quite well balanced, and then every now and then a batch comes out that tastes of cloying crystal malt, tastes completely different, seems a very small change in attenuation or something makes quite a difference to the flavour.

GL I've actually still got the remaining bottle in my fridge! I never opened it after my experience. Perhaps I should purchase another and taste them back-to-back...

Latest posts

Back