Quantcast

Rooftop Red Lager

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

tangent

Reaction score
i tried one last night
not that aromatic but malty and great colour
kinda wish it was an ale instead of a lager - quite liked it!

anyone else tried it?

NRB

Reaction score
Yeah, I love the stuff.

tangent

Reaction score
i keep trying to read your post NRB but your avatar keeps me mesmerised!

barfridge

Small fridge, powerful thirst
Reaction score
It's a top session beer. I'd prefer a bit more body, and more hops. But I guess I'm not the target audience.

Jazzafish

Fermentation is my bitch
Reaction score
I had it at the melbourne airport...

Not a bad drop, but it wasn't for me. Then again, I had been on the dogbolters all arvo, which is more of a brew for me.

However, the guy at my local HBS loves the stuff.

Snow

Beer me up, Scotty!
Reaction score
I quite like it and bought a carton. It's not a bad example of a Vienna lager, and the malty aroma really shines at about 12C. For the price ($53 per carton) I thought it was a good buy. I even got 2 free Matilda Bay glasses with it!

- Snow

Aaron

Reaction score
I guess it is good for what it is.

Not really my favourite. That said I had a few one afternoon at the pub.

Murray

Beer bear.
Reaction score
Would it be a fair assumption that the pub was serving it too cold?

Aaron

Reaction score
Murray said:
Would it be a fair assumption that the pub was serving it too cold?
[post="77401"][/post]​
Don't they allways? I went to a Maltshovel night with Chuck Hahn there and the beer was still served too cold.

Kai

Fermentation Assistant
Reaction score
I concur, it's served too cold. Warming it up really brings out the malt and balances it a bit more.

tangent

Reaction score
Interesting...
I couldn't wait for mine to chill for long and poured it into a pint glass to get a decent sniff.
Glad I was impatient :)

Scotty

Reaction score
After reading this post hour ago, I went and bought a six pack. Its great stuff, im up to my 2nd.

Scotty

Wortgames

'Draught' is not a beer style - it's a lifestyle
Reaction score
Well I know I'm slow but I had my first taste of Rooftop Red last night on draught (in fact we drank the hotel dry of it between two of us)
:ph34r:

Faced with the choice of Crown, Cascade or Bees Nees (little more than a novelty beer IMO) I ordered one at the start of the evening, and got through a few pints of it before heading off for dinner.

What a thoroughly pleasant drop. As a fan of malty beers, I am often frustrated that finding a 'premium' beer usually means YET ANOTHER coarse and excessively-hopped pseudo-pilsner. I thought this was a well-balanced and satisfying beer with good body and flavour. I didn't seem to get any fruit flavours or the compounding sweetness that others have mentioned, and if the bar hadn't run out I would probably never have had dinner.

Hopefully they'll have a new keg by the time we get there tonight.

:beer:

wessmith

Reaction score
Only tried the bottled version but have to say its way too sweet. According to the label they have used both melanoidin and carared malts. Well, carared has no place in a lager - should only be used in an ale. It is a very sweetish (and very red) crystal. Spoilt it for me but would like to try the draft. Probably not as filtered and the bittering might come through a bit more.

Wes

ausdb

Copper kettles don't kill people....
Reaction score
wessmith said:
Only tried the bottled version but have to say its way too sweet. According to the label they have used both melanoidin and carared malts. Well, carared has no place in a lager - should only be used in an ale. It is a very sweetish (and very red) crystal. Spoilt it for me but would like to try the draft. Probably not as filtered and the bittering might come through a bit more.

Wes
[post="89682"][/post]​
My question is how do they get a stated 60EBC from this beer using only carared and melanoidin?

http://www.matildabay.com.au/ourcraft/brew...es_rooftop.html

Going by weyermann's recommendations they say 20% max in batch for melanoidin and 25% for the carared. With the rest of the batch made up of some sort of pale malt promash gets about 28EBC for a 1.052 SG batch. Are they doing a mega caramelisation there or is someone telling porkys?

jayse

Black Label Society
Reaction score
60 ebc must be a typo, that beer is only around 30ebc at a rough estimate.

Jayse

wessmith

Reaction score
Jayse, your quite right - no way 60 EBC - thats a dark porter! At the most 30 EBC.

Wes

ausdb

Copper kettles don't kill people....
Reaction score
wessmith said:
Jayse, your quite right - no way 60 EBC - thats a dark porter! At the most 30 EBC.

Wes
[post="89736"][/post]​
I actually emailed them questioning it and got a reply from Brad Rogers confirming it, so I don't know how they measure it!

Lebowski

Reaction score
One of my favourite beers at the moment.

Wortgames

'Draught' is not a beer style - it's a lifestyle
Reaction score
OK, had a few more on draught last night, definitely not too sweet for my taste so maybe there is a difference between the bottle and keg versions.

I have no problem with the malt selection, I don't particularly demand authenticity from commercial beers (that's why I brew) and the way I figure it if this was an ale it may never have made it to the bar I was drinking in.

If a brew like this can be 'mainstream' enough to hold a tap in a hotel bar then that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned - I'll certainly choose it over a Coopers or any of the pilsner knock-offs.

:beer:

Latest posts