Rolling a Coopers stubby?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevandjo

Reaction score
On the weekend I was speaking with a Canadian friend and he brought up how interesting it was that to serve Coopers beer correctly you need to roll the stubby gently to mix the sediment.

This wasn't the first time I'd heard this from someone but it doesn't seem to make any sense to me as I've always thought that the sediment was fluctuated yeast. Have I got this wrong? Is there any benefit in mixing it?

Cheers,
Trev

I'm a drinker not a thinker and to me when someone does that I think what a Westpac Banker, I just pour carefully into the glass and leave the sediment behind otherwise it just makes you fart

I have to say that for years and years my local bar did the same thing and always rolled the coopers before serving .. And several other bars a well.. Once I got into home brew I realised what strange way to serve the opposite of home brew, so thought it was Shit to roll the beer..

But with this post and some red wine under the belt I did a google "do you roll a coopers before serving". And bugger me Wikipedia say roll... So even safer I went to the coopers site and when you click on the beer eg "sparkling ale" it tells you to gently rock from side to side to stir the sediment!!! Www.coopers.com.au/#/our-beer/ales-stout/sparkling-ale/

The things I will do to procrastinate and avoid doing work... Back to the PC, maybe

From what I've heard it's just a marketing gimmick, someone posted here one time that Dr Tim prefers his unrolled

Coopers sell barmats with a rolling guide on them.
Bar staff are taught by Coopers reps to roll Pale Ale and Sparkling Ale.
I can't drink Pale with the yeast....but can't drink Sparkling without it. It adds a massive fruit punch dose.
Pour half a bottle without the yeast and try it, then swirl the remainder of the bottle, pour into your glass and try again.

See which you prefer.

Some pubs in SA sell pre-rolled bottles so it can't get mucked up.

yum beer said:
Coopers sell barmats with a rolling guide on them.
Bar staff are taught by Coopers reps to roll Pale Ale and Sparkling Ale.
I can't drink Pale with the yeast....but can't drink Sparkling without it. It adds a massive fruit punch dose.
Pour half a bottle without the yeast and try it, then swirl the remainder of the bottle, pour into your glass and try again.

See which you prefer.
I will give that a go

Trevandjo said:
On the weekend I was speaking with a Canadian friend and he brought up how interesting it was that to serve Coopers beer correctly you need to roll the stubby gently to mix the sediment.

This wasn't the first time I'd heard this from someone but it doesn't seem to make any sense to me as I've always thought that the sediment was fluctuated yeast. Have I got this wrong? Is there any benefit in mixing it?

Cheers,
Trev
Your choice. I prefer unrolled and if a bartender rolls without asking, I will request another stubby, unrolled.
Marketing ploy as far as I can gather but personal preference is the most important decider.

Yes, it's yeast sediment.

And apart from wether you roll a stubby or not the correctly served keg of CPA has yeast in each serve.
Very few pubs no how to store and serve a coopers keg correctly.
From what I have learned the keg should be stored up side down prior to being tapped then when it is tapped for serving it is set up the correct way which distributes the yeast reasonably uniformally throughout the beer.
This is the way Coopers meant consumers to drink it.
The rolling of the stubby is to emulate the draught example.... It is an individuals choice but my personal preference is to roll the stubby.
If it does not have the yeast included then it becomes a pretty ordinary beer in my opinion. The bitterness becomes out of balance and it is really just a poor example of an Aussie Bitter style without the yeast.
:) :)

dicko said:
And apart from wether you roll a stubby or not the correctly served keg of CPA has yeast in each serve.
Very few pubs no how to store and serve a coopers keg correctly.
From what I have learned the keg should be stored up side down prior to being tapped then when it is tapped for serving it is set up the correct way which distributes the yeast reasonably uniformally throughout the beer.
This is the way Coopers meant consumers to drink it.
The rolling of the stubby is to emulate the draught example.... It is an individuals choice but my personal preference is to roll the stubby.
If it does not have the yeast included then it becomes a pretty ordinary beer in my opinion. The bitterness becomes out of balance and it is really just a poor example of an Aussie Bitter style without the yeast.
:) :)
Yes, rolling is supposed to emulate what it's like on tap. However, while the on tap version is just a little cloudy, rolling tends to cause chunks of yeast to get into the glass, which is just horrible. Careful decanting can give you a lightly cloudy beer with no chunks if you do it right

peas_and_corn said:
Yes, rolling is supposed to emulate what it's like on tap. However, while the on tap version is just a little cloudy, rolling tends to cause chunks of yeast to get into the glass, which is just horrible. Careful decanting can give you a lightly cloudy beer with no chunks if you do it right
Totally agree mate,
I have wondered that of late, have Coopers actually changed the yeast used for bottling because I have noted that the bottle yeast seems to be a firmer consistency?

I'm with peas and corn on this . The chunks suck but so does a pot of coopers that is crystal clear because the hotel / bar doesn't give the keg a touch up each day.

To summarise, I dont roll stubbies but I generally drink em out of the bottle… At the pub the Coopers is sub-par when it is pouring crystal clear. So IMO there is a balance.

If it pours crystal clear from the tap i would be questioning how long since the keg was tapped...

As for the "chunks" in bottles, I have only noticed it in bottles that are a couple of months old, in the "fresher" bottles the yeast is more powdery - Cooper's is better consumed fresh and I always look for the date. At a bar I ask if they sell much of it, if not, I leave it.

This is supposedly the practice for German wheat beers. I say "supposedly" because I've never seen anyone actually do it. Usually it's served already iin the glass.

sp0rk said:
From what I've heard it's just a marketing gimmick, someone posted here one time that Dr Tim prefers his unrolled
Its also been posted Dr Tim likes his rolled so if you only believe 50% of what you read here then if your lucky you might be right at least 25% of the time.
dicko said:
Totally agree mate,
I have wondered that of late, have Coopers actually changed the yeast used for bottling because I have noted that the bottle yeast seems to be a firmer consistency?
I think it might just be the freshness issue bottles sit on shelves whereas kegs don't.

Back