Rolling a Coopers stubby?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr Wibble said:
This is supposedly the practice for German wheat beers. I say "supposedly" because I've never seen anyone actually do it. Usually it's served already iin the glass.
I worked in Munich for a while and had to specifically ask the bar staff not to shake the bottle to mix in the yeast. Otherwise the beer was very cloudy and yeasty. It may be the way that it's intended to be drunk, but I personally don't like it.

The bottle wasn't gently rolled. The technique seemed to be to pour the beer carefully off of the yeast until only a small amount of beer is left in the bottle and then stick your thumb over the top, shake like hell and dump all of the trub into the glass and ruin a perfectly good beer.

Or maybe I'm just a philistine. :unsure:

Edit: Spelling

dicko said:
Totally agree mate,
I have wondered that of late, have Coopers actually changed the yeast used for bottling because I have noted that the bottle yeast seems to be a firmer consistency?
The people at coopers insist it's the same yeast at all stages. Personally I think the flocculation characteristics of their yeast mutate easily in the bottle, as I've seen heaps of variation. This is for how fast it settles/clumps, and how much yeast is in the bottle.

PSA: If you have a strong preference for one way or the other, please specify it when ordering. In a high volume setting I just pop the top. It saves a lot of time especially when most people a) dont give a stuff how I serve it and b) dont have a clue what Im talking about when I ask "Would you like it rolled?" and I gotta then explain while Ive got 30 jackasses waiting to order retarded drinks like st germain apple and oj, grey goose cranberry and kahlua or hazelnut liquer lemonade and three ice cubes. Atleast those people specify how they want their drink. /rant

Back