RIS or just RS?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stouter

Reaction score
For the last few brews I've been using IanH's spreadsheet. I love it and it's easy to use.
My mistake is that for the last three I've been using v1.2, despite having v1.3 in the same file location, and the O.G on my v1.2 seems to remain at 1052 regardless of how much grain I'm putting in.
Being green at this I took no notice, no alarm bells rang, and I went ahead today with the following concoction which was intended to be a Choc Stout;

Golden Promise x 5kg
Flaked Barley x 1kg
Carafa 3 x 0.2kg
Choc malt x 0.2kg
Roasted Barley x 0.15kg
EKG - 40g @60
N.B - 15g @40
EKG - 10g dry hopped into cube.

New OG is 1.114 and FG 1.028, and expected alc% 11.4%.

I've already picked up some MJ M10 workhorse yeast last weekend, should I throw a healthy double dose of this into it, aerate first with the wand, and then aerate again half was through the ferment?

For something with those numbers, you'll need a SWAG of yeast. Best to create something a bit smaller first, ferment it out, then dump your Biggie onto the yeast cake.

Also, re-aeration after about 18 hours (1 cell-division) will give the best results. Don't aerate after that. Just leave the beasties to do their job.

How are you getting 1100 numbers with 5kg base malt in 21 L final volume? Are there steroids in the flaked barley?

Am I missing something? An extra 1 before the 5 for example?

manticle said:
How are you getting 1100 numbers with 5kg base malt in 21 L final volume? Are there steroids in the flaked barley?

Am I missing something? An extra 1 before the 5 for example?
Another mistake, I had 2kg entered for the Carafa 3 and Choc malt.
New OG 1.077 looks a little better.

Being way under hopped, can I take some of the wort out, and boil in more hops before readding to the cube?
Or is it best to just boil extra hops in separate water and add to the fermenter.

Better to boil in wort.

Even 1.077 is pretty high efficiency. Double check.

Fark, the roast barley was entered at 1.5 instead of 0.15.
O.G now comes up at 1.068.
Feeling like a bit of a dumb ******* right now.

:lol: Perhaps just check the OG when you put it into the FV if you haven't already.

I usually drain the wort into the cube then drain some of the dregs into a Pyrex jug, "whirlpool" it, and let it sit on the kitchen bench for 2-3 hours to cool down and settle out, then take my OG reading from the clear wort on top poured into a testing jar.

I'll wait till it cools, maybe tomorrow then take a sample.
To add hops can anyone please recommend how much of the 21L to take out and how long should I boil for. I've still got 50g of EKG left and when I entered this into the spreadsheet at a 30 minute boil it seems to bring things into line for an Australian Stout.

Now to go over the last two brews currently sitting in the fermenters....

RS? Rough Shod calculations? :ph34r: Ah the dangers of calculator reliance, she'll be right you wait and see :chug:

+ 1 to Manticle. Your hops seem about right for the grains you've used. And don't feel dumb we all have :huh: moments

Yeah, it was always my Dad's favourite descriptor of the less than perfect things in life. Just ribbing you. What was your actual OG in the end.

After 'Cooling the Cube', that's my 80's hat tip to the movie 'Gleaming the Cube", the O.G came in at 1055.

I don't know what I was carrying on about in the end. I also stressed out with my first AG attempt which was a high end Stout with root licorice addition.
After a month the taste was shockingly overpowering, and I thought about slinging it down the drain.
Second month later, hmm slightly better.
This weekend, three months on, I've only got half of the batch left and it's getting smaller by the day. If it lasts until month four it'll be fantastic.

I might just need to stay calm and smash out another SMASH.

Stouter said:
After 'Cooling the Cube', that's my 80's hat tip to the movie 'Gleaming the Cube"

Classic 80s skate drama!
It was certainly no animal chin though.

Stouter said:
After 'Cooling the Cube', that's my 80's hat tip to the movie 'Gleaming the Cube", the O.G came in at 1055.

I don't know what I was carrying on about in the end. I also stressed out with my first AG attempt which was a high end Stout with root licorice addition.
After a month the taste was shockingly overpowering, and I thought about slinging it down the drain.
Second month later, hmm slightly better.
This weekend, three months on, I've only got half of the batch left and it's getting smaller by the day. If it lasts until month four it'll be fantastic.

I might just need to stay calm and smash out another SMASH.
Ditto, my stouts take quite a while aging to smooth out the flavours.

Having said that I've just kegged my first batch where I've cold seeped the dark grains instead of mashing them. First taste out of the fermenter was smooth as. Fingers crossed this will turn out well.

Latest posts

Back