RIP Andrew Sachs - Manuel from Fawlty Towers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andrew Sachs was a very talented man whose volume of work was a lot greater than just his Manuel of Fawlty Towers (although that role brought him worldwide recognition).
The last movie I saw him in was Quartet with Billy Connolly, Maggie Smith et al, released in 2012. That was the same year that he was diagnosed with vascular dementia.
He will be sadly missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RDbg06R8cnnYE&v=5035TY5RSpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i8IER7nTfc&index=10&list=RDbg06R8cnnYE

Many a fond memory for me sitting around watching Fawlty Towers with my family as a kid. Still funny today.

RIP

JD

He took what might have become an incidental character (like the Major) and made it his own, and Manuel became a pivotal part of the whole catastrophe that was Fawlty Towers.

Reading some comments by Cleese, who said that during the filming of the series Sachs complained about the violence he was subjected to. Cleese insisted that it was necessary for their scenes that he kicked him and hit him with spoons etc in order to show Basil's irrational frustations and to garner sympathy for Manuel.

An unexpected spin off was that children loved the show because of the persecuted Manuel. Maybe they saw in him part of their own lives at a time when the cane was still used in schools. Cleese said the best example of this physical acting together was the 'Kipper and the Corpse' episode.

Usually when some celebrity actor dies the TV networks do re-runs of their work. But Fawlty Towers has never stopped being re-run even after all these years.

RIP Mr Sachs. You have achieved a kind of immortality because you will be making people laugh for as long as people watch TV.

Yeah, pity about that.

But lucky the show got made at all.

Fawlty Towers memo.png

When Fawlty hits Manuel with the frying pan, episode - Basil confronts a 'burglar'

He was actually knocked out and struggled to get up. Some comedians do suffer for their craft.

Last edited by a moderator:
my parents loved fawlty towers, i ended up loving it and now my kids piss themselves laughing to it. Survives throughout the generations. Farty towels.

Ducatiboy stu said:
And interestingly, only 2 seasons of 6 shows where ever made
And Cream only ever recorded four studio albums.
Coincidence?

Dave70 said:
And Cream only ever recorded four studio albums.
Coincidence?
I think not. Like the Working Dog team, who will run a series then pull the pin whilee still on top of their game.

On Sachs....Manuel was one of the great supporting characters, his work was of the highest order.

Latest posts

Back