Police uncover record stash of black market alcohol in WA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lost at sea

Reaction score
they found 300 litres of alcohol and a relatively sophisticated production set-up.
"We found two drums of fermenting beer and two drums of fermenting spirits, and found shelves and cupboards full of already distilled spirits and brewed beer, which we will allege was ready to sell," he said.

"This is the first one we've seen where it's a home-brew set-up, with someone taking the time to go into it and sort of set up their own business," he said.
Hope they never knock on my door and ask to look in my brew cave then....haha.

blokes probably just stocking up for his xmas holidays dealing with the inlaws.....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-01/wa-police-uncover-biggest-stash-of-sly-grog/8085180

It's so fukked up there you can only buy light beer at the bottlo. Anything stronger is "illegal" to possess, though plenty of people willing to smuggle in stronger stuff for $$$.
Not suprised someone decided to DIY.

"[What] we allege is that the person was distilling his own alcohol, including beer and spirits, and then selling that on to members of the public who approached him."

Good to see . Glad they got busted

pablo_h said:
It's so fukked up there you can only buy light beer at the bottlo. Anything stronger is "illegal" to possess.
Are you serious? Is this WA wide or just in Broome? At what ABV do they draw the line of what is a light beer vs full strength? "No IPA for you"

I was holidaying in Croatia this past northern summer, and dotted along the roads in the countryside were little stalls setup with little old smiling grannies or grandads sitting there selling their homemade goods. We pulled over a few times and there would be goats cheese, olive oil, salamis, fruits, red wine in 2L plastic bottles and the local firewater - distilled grappa. I couldn't help thinking to myself at the time, back home these poor old bastards would be hit with a $10,000 fine at least, which is probably all that their homes are worth, and no doubt probably criminal charges too. This country pisses me right off sometimes....

It's because aboriginals live in that area mate. Of course not WA wide, it's just because the government can do this type of thing in marjority aboriginal areas.
Phoney said:
Are you serious? Is this WA wide or just in Broome? At what ABV do they draw the line of what is a light beer vs full strength? "No IPA for you"

Ducatiboy stu said:
"[What] we allege is that the person was distilling his own alcohol, including beer and spirits, and then selling that on to members of the public who approached him."

I bet no one would be able to open a homebrew shop there so there's no sale of alcohol involved

pablo_h said:
It's because aboriginals live in that area mate. Of course not WA wide, it's just because the government can do this type of thing in marjority aboriginal areas.
Oh ok, so its a bit like in FNQ with dry communities etc. I can sort of see the sense in that as I agree alcohol is a massive problem in those areas.

This person caught no doubt didn't have good intentions at heart, just pure greed.

Phoney said:
I was holidaying in Croatia this past northern summer, and dotted along the roads in the countryside were little stalls setup with little old smiling grannies or grandads sitting there selling their homemade goods. We pulled over a few times and there would be goats cheese, olive oil, salamis, fruits, red wine in 2L plastic bottles and the local firewater - distilled grappa. I couldn't help thinking to myself at the time, back home these poor old bastards would be hit with a $10,000 fine at least, which is probably all that their homes are worth, and no doubt probably criminal charges too. This country pisses me right off sometimes....
I'm enjoying some time in Greece right now, and in the local mini-market in the small town I'm in, I sampled some local "home made liqueur" (3 varieties). I sampled them all, really liked one of them, a rich brew spiced with cloves and cinnamon, so for €6 the lovely lady filled a 250ml bottle for me.

Greece - chaotic traffic (in Athens) and sky-high taxes, but freedom we'll never know. And not that I do, but you can still smoke over here without being made to feel like a leper...

The problem of smuggling in full strength and spirits into the dry communities is really hard to stop. So many back tracks and such massive areas, plus there's always someone willing to take the risk because of the huge money involved. The worse news is that Meth is becoming easier to get too.

jibba02 said:
I'm not at all convinced this is as simple as "incorrect distillation" (which is a myth anyway)
All 3 people had advanced liver cirrhosis, so that surely would have played a part
Having spent a lot of time talking to some fairly distinguished craft distillers, I'm convinced we're not being told the whole story here, as per usual
Funny how there hasn't been any proven deaths by home distilling in the 20 years it's been legal in NZ...

Ducatiboy stu said:

I read the news "article " on this, hmm distilling his own alcohol,including BEER and spirits.
Correct me if I'm wrong, directed at the media, alcohol distillation = spirits and we all know beer is fermented.
Suck me dry and call me dusty if I don't have a HUGE problem with the media, bit of homework wouldn't go astray. Knobs.

Back