Rims Or Herms

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really like your setup Jackson - very neat solution. I've been looking for a way to implement HERMS into my system mainly for the purpose of maintaining single-step mashes (on my 6th AG brew and yet to delve into step-mashing). Not having a seperate vessel & additional fittings etc to keep clean is a big plus in my mind also.

Would be interested to know if you notice any additional caramelisation/burnt character with grain potentially getting through the falsie and sitting on the element. Whenever I empty my mashtun I'm always surprised by the amount of grain sitting underneath it, although I can't be sure how much of this is from it getting bumped around when scooping out the spent grain.
Thanks Gabe, I will post once I have tried it out & let you know if caramelisation/burnt is an issue. Maybe I should try a porter so I don't get disappointed

Jackson also noticed from the photo with the false bottom that you may be using silicon tubing from the false bottom to the tap. If this is correct you might get grain underneath and stuck onto the element. I would look at hardening this up if I was you with either copper or stainless pipe.

Cheers I will take that on board, I have only ever done Biab in the past so all these tips are appreciated

The key to a HERMS is to have an external heat exchange unit (the smallest pot/vessel with 2400W element with as much copper tubing in as you can stuff).
This is only if you are intending on doing fast temperature ramping, this also controls the temperature control better due to faster response times.
I have about 5.5m of copper tubing in a 9L pot with 2200W element in it and get about 2 degrees C in 3 mins. The temperature control during the Mash is excellant, only varying about 0.2 degrees C using a BCS-460 controlling the system.

I went with a HERMS for safety reasons, i.e. stuck mash resulting in burnt/sourched Wort and/or burnt out element if not caught in time.

I don't do too many temperature ramping mash profiles, mostly just a straight infusion with excellant stable temp control.

Jackson also noticed from the photo with the false bottom that you may be using silicon tubing from the false bottom to the tap. If this is correct you might get grain underneath and stuck onto the element. I would look at hardening this up if I was you with either copper or stainless pipe.

I can attest to this also. I'm using the same setup (silicone hose to 1/2" barb threaded onto the mash tun outlet). I initially had issues with stuck mashes, but discovered this was actually from being a little too vigorous with my stirring and actually rotating the false bottom, causing the silicone tubing to kink.

I like the ease of removal and cleaning of the silicone so I stuck with it - it just requires that you have your brew assistant press the false bottom down using a long-handled spoon or similar when you mash in to prevent it from floating and grain getting underneath. Once the grain has absorbed some water and starts sinking you shouldn't have any problems. When stirring just be aware of knocking the falsie around or catching the tubing - and always triple-check your hose clamps as it really sucks scooping out your entire mash to reconnect things :)

Gabe

Yes i too am waiting results before i cut into my mash tun that has had a 100 clams of sanitary welding done on it..

Unfortunately I'm still waiting on parts before I can give it a run. I'm thinking I should be ok for next weekend.
Since last post I have added the following

- HLT Tap
- Ss brew bench
- Twin 2200w elements to kettle
- Sight glass to kettle
- Kettle tap
- Sight glass/Temp to Mash Tun
- Mash Tun return
- Received pump
- Received & set up monster mash hopper (copied from Thirsty Boy's)

IMG_0125.jpg
IMG_0126.jpg
IMG_0127.jpg
IMG_0128.jpg
IMG_0130.jpg
IMG_0129.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 23
Looking good Jackson. What size & brand is your kettle? I'm looking to step up to do full boil of a double batch (currently boiling 40L and topping up at the end)

Hi I am new to the forum. Are RIMS and HERMS perverted things or diseases? :p

I'd say disease, that I am likely to catch one day!

Looking good Jackson. What size & brand is your kettle? I'm looking to step up to do full boil of a double batch (currently boiling 40L and topping up at the end)
Hi Gabe, It's ss 71l ebay job. Double batches were the reason for upgrading as well. AG can take up most of my day to do, so I should be able to now brew once a month for my 2 keg a month habit.

The last of my parts for the new system arrived yesterday so I had to take the day off & test it out. I brewed a single batch of Nelson Sauvin and all went perfect except for the twin element kettle which boiled off 3 litres more then calculated. I think in future I would just use one element for single batches. Overall I was very happy with the set up and the electric crown urn element in the mash tune worked very well with no signs of caramelisation although the truth will be in about 3 weeks when the beer is on tap.
IMG_0056.jpg
IMG_0138.jpg
IMG_0136.jpg
IMG_0135.jpg

Hi I am new to the forum. Are RIMS and HERMS perverted things or diseases? :p

I'd say disease, that I am likely to catch one day!

I remember when Henno got HERMS, I believe he got a cream for it! :eek:

QldKev

The last of my parts for the new system arrived yesterday so I had to take the day off & test it out. I brewed a single batch of Nelson Sauvin and all went perfect except for the twin element kettle which boiled off 3 litres more then calculated. I think in future I would just use one element for single batches. Overall I was very happy with the set up and the electric crown urn element in the mash tune worked very well with no signs of caramelisation although the truth will be in about 3 weeks when the beer is on tap.

<snip removed pics>

Lets us know how you went; I've already purchased a concealed element ready for mine :D

QldKev

Looks good Jackson.

Is that a T-peice coming off your mash tun for the temp probe? Is it long enough to house the full length of the probe and clear the ball valve, or did you ahve to get a shorter probe?

Yes it's a quick connect T piece with a 100mm thermal well for my temp prob. it misses the ball in the tap by about 15 mm. The temp prob via the controller switches the mash tun's element on and off when required

Yes it's a quick connect T piece with a 100mm thermal well for my temp prob. it misses the ball in the tap by about 15 mm. The temp prob via the controller switches the mash tun's element on and off when required

Quick connect t-peice you say - would that be just a regular female thread T-peice with a female camlock on the inlet and male on the outlet for your hose?

Quick connect t-peice you say - would that be just a regular female thread T-peice with a female camlock on the inlet and male on the outlet for your hose?
[/quote

yep here you go
iphone_17.2.11_099.jpg
iphone_17.2.11_098.jpg[

yep here you go

Awesome. Thanks for the pics. :)

Look forward to hearing how the brew turned out - i'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on one of those elements!

I brewed a double batch the other day all went well except I was not happy with the time it took to raise the grain from 65 deg to 77 for mash out. The actual wort only took 5-10 min to reach 77 deg however the 10 Kg of grain took 35 min to catch up even when stirring on occasion. The pump was only at about 1/2 tap open, I'm sure the temperature would increase a lot quicker if the tap was fully opened. However that would probably cause a stuck sparg.
I'm not sure if I should worry about the grain temp for mash out or just the wort temperature?
With herms or rims systems how long does the step up in temperatures normally take?

Back